Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast Tone Shaping Mic Preamp
Warm Audio TB12 'Tone Beast' Tone Shaping Mic Preamp overview from GAK
Warm Audio's TB12 Tone Beast is a superb 19" rack mountable preamplifier designed with tonnes of available gain, top of the line CineMag transformers, 2 opamps and multiple discrete signal paths. The TB12 can seamlessly capture and transform audio from a vast range of sources, accommodating high gain and using it to colourize your signal, create definitive tones and breath life into your audio.
The Tone Beast can be pushed and pushed HARD, capable of venturing into hard-distortion that works especially well with guitar, bass and other sources looking for more bite. This level of controlled chaos is only possible thanks to the TB12's high-end components and meticulous construction. The USA made CineMag transformers include one
Tone can be further customised thanks to the impedance switch (labelled 'TONE' on the front panel), chose between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance. Additionally, capacitor selection gives you the option to select between Tantalum and Electrolytic giving your source different characteristics. Output control allows you to limit the exiting signal even when cranking up the gain, giving you maximum control.
The Tone Beast also features an 80hz high pass filter, switchable +48v phantom power for condenser microphones and other power hungry sources, as well as balanced XLR mic, balanced TRS line and 1/4" instrument inputs. The TB12 'Tone Beast' is a versatile and accessible tone shaping mic pre that will make an essential addition to your studio, get the most out your audio.
- Utilizes premium grade CineMag USA Transformers.
- 71db of gain.
- Transformer selection provides both Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output transformers for varying character.
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the circuit.
- Discrete Opamp selection allows for choosing between a 1731(vintage) and 918(cleaner) style opamp. These are socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6 pin footprint opamps.
- Impedance switch labeled TONE to switch between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance.
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag Transformers and the discrete opamps. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack.
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic for different characters.
- 80hz hipass filter.
- Polarity Reverse.
- +48V phantom power.
- Output attenuation allows for saturation flexibility of both opamps and transformers.
- ¼" insert for the use of inline compressors, eq's etc.
- Balanced XLR mic (front and back), balanced TRS line, and ¼" instrument inputs.
- Balanced XLR and TRS outputs.
- -20db Pad.
- LED VU Meter.
- 19" rackmountable.
- External line-lump 24V AC power transformer for low noise.