Warm Audio WA-2A Optical Compressor
Warm Audio WA-2A Optical Compressor overview from GAK
With a relentless passion for analogue gear, Warm Audio strove to create a 2A style optical compressor made affordable. Utilizing a 2A circuit, with premium grade input and output CineMag USA transformers and high-quality Tung-sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes, the WA-2A provides an unparalleled warmth to vocals, bass and a vast array of other instrument and program material.
The WA-2A is a high-voltage, Class-A opto-compressor, utilizing large-core CineMag USA Transformers, four premium vacuum tubes, and the legendary Kenetek opto-cell - considered by many to be the world’s finest.
With a four tube operation, the WA-2A operates with two 12AX7's, one 12BH7 and a 6aq5, all of which are socketed allowing for easy switching and replacement.
The WA-2A features both XLR and TRS balanced line level inputs with 600-ohm impedance, gain is a generous 40dB + 1dB with a maximum + 16dB input level. The front panel features a Limit/Compress switch, smooth action Output Gain, Peak Reduction and Gain Reduction knobs and a clear Leveling amplifier meter.
- '2A Style, Transformer balanced, high voltage, opto tube compressor.
- Utilizes premium grade input and output CineMag USA Transformers.
- USA made Kenetek opto-cell attenuator T4' style module. Socketed to allow retro-fitting with other opto-cells.
- Premium Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes. 2x 12ax7, 1x 12bh7, 1x 6aq5 or 6p1
- Fully discrete signal path.
- Variable Pre-emphasis, allows for compression hipass filtering (TONE control).
- Stereo-link capable via TRS connector
- XLR and TRS balanced line level inputs - 600 ohms impedance.
- XLR and TRS balanced line level outputs - 600 ohms impedance.
- Frequency Response +/- 1 dB, 15 Hz to 20kHz.
- Gain 40 dB ±1dB.
- Input Level +16 dB maximum.
- Output Level +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum.
- Distortion Less than 0.1% THD at ±10 dBm.
- Noise = -74dB.
- Attack Time - 10 milliseconds.
- Release Time - 0.06 seconds for 50% release - 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release.
- Meter displays both dB gain reduction and dB output.
- Power - 115/230 volts (switchable), 50/60 Hz.
- Dimensions - 19" Rackmount chassis, 2U. 19" x 7" x 3.5".
- Weight - 12 lbs.