Warm Audio WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone
Warm Audio WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone overview from GAK
The Warm Audio WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone is a vacuum tube, large diaphragm, transformer balanced, multi-pattern, large condenser microphone. Designed for use in a pro studio, home studio or broadcast environment, the WA-47 has been designed and produced using the legendary original '47 as a benchmark, the original 47 was used on countless hit records over the last fifty years and was hailed as one of the greatest microphones ever created.
The Warm Audio WA-47 can be used for a wide-range of recording requirements, working exceptionally well on vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, bass, piano, strings, drums, woodwind and many other sources. Boasting 9 unique polar patterns, the WA-47 can capture audio in a cardioid, figure-of-eight and omnidirectional pattern, as well a six additional mixed patterns for a range of applications.
At the heart of the WA-47 is its capsule, housing a high-quality reproduction of the classic k47 style capsule used in the original 47, this capsule offers the same hole pattern and frequency response that gave the original its distinct tone. Created in a separate quality-controlled environment, the capsule is rigorously tested and inspected prior to being fitted to the rest of the microphones components.
The tube on the WA-47 is a Slovak Republic JJ 5751 vacuum tube with a lower gain, low noise response. Chosen after vigorous auditioning of rivalling tubes, Warm Audio chose the JJ 5751 because its frequency response and its contribution to the
The transformer is a TAB-Funkenwerk (AMI) USA model featuring large core imported german laminations. This transformer is renown for its huge range, producing clean, smooth top end and that exceptionally large bottom end synonymous with '47 style condensers.
Warm Audio teamed up with Gotham Audio in Switzerland to fit the WA-47 with their top-end 7 pin GAC-7 cable. Taking into account how the shielding and wire gauge size can greatly affect the sonic quality of a tube mic, Warm Audio chose the GAC-7 as it significantly increases the size of the recorded image in the stereo field. In their own words expensive and boutique in nature "not to be considered a small addition to the WA-47 package".
After countless time researching, auditioning and testing the various components found in the WA-47, Warm Audio has succeeded in creating a class-leading microphone that 'sounds legitimately indistinguishable to the vintage 47s', a high-quality tube condenser with exceptional attention to detail, sound quality and recording functionality. A fine addition to any pro studio, home studio or broadcast centre.
Includes wood box, PSU,
- • Custom true '47 capsule reproduction (k47 style) - Model# WA-47-B-80v
- • Capsule makeup: Gold sputtered, dual large diaphragm, single backplate, 6 microns NOS mylar (PET film)
- • TAB-Funkenwerk (AMI) USA output transformer
- • JJ Slovak 5751 vacuum tube
- • Gotham 5 meter GAC-7, 7-pin tube microphone cable
- • Wima, Solen French, and Polystyrene capacitors
- • Polar Patterns: 9 patterns - Cardioid, Omni, figure-of-eight + 6 mixed patterns
- • Self-noise: 11dBA
- • Dynamic range: 130dBA
- • Maximum SPL: 140dB (<0.5% THD)
- • Frequency Range: 20 Hz~20 kHz
- • Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- • Rated Load Impedance: ≥2kOhms
- • S/N Ratio: 82dBA
- • Equivalent Noise: 10dBA (IEC651)
- • External IEC grounded PSU
- • Includes: Microphone, Wood box, PSU, Shockmount, Gotham 7 pin GAC-7 cable, IEC power cable
- • Total Weight - 9 lbs
- • Mic Diameter: 90mm
- • Mic Length: 254mm