Yamaha CSP-170 Digital Piano, Black
Yamaha CSP-170 Overview By GAK.
The new Yamaha CSP-170 is a truly innovative digital piano that enables you to learn to play your favourite music. The new light guide technology literally guides your fingers to the next key or chord so that you can work out which note to play and when. The CSP technology will allow you to speed up or slow down the music so you can get to grips with the song you're playing. Plus, you can adjust the difficulty of the performance so as you become more confident, more complexed piano parts can be introduced. The technology works by scanning your song of choice and creating a chord chart and piano score. It will then lead the way by lighting up the keys you need to play along with your favourite music. This is a really cool piece of technology that's never been utilised until now on a digital piano. It will be a true asset to piano teachers and players of all abilities. Its also sonically lovely and includes Yamaha's acclaimed piano sound, CFX Grand plus the Bӧsendorfer Imperial as standard. You'll also get hundreds of other voices like saxophones, percussions, electric pianos, ochestral sounds and more. Yamaha have created a detailed overview to provide you with even more information which you'll find below.
Ready to perform
When you’re ready to take on the challenge of solo performance, the Clavinova CSP offers built-in songs for immediate enjoyment, or additional songs for purchase from Yamaha MusicSoft (www.yamahamusicsoft.com). And even if you’re just starting out, you can trust the Stream Lights to show you the way.
Solo, band, orchestra, and more!
Clavinova CSPs offer unrivaled capacity for musical expression, with a huge variety of instrument voices that bely their simple, elegant exteriors. You can also enjoy ensemble sessions with rock or jazz bands, and even bossa nova orchestras, simply by assigning Styles.
Want to sing as well? The Clavinova CSP comes equipped with a mic input, and will even harmonize with you as you sing!
Smart Pianist features an "Audio To Score" function that automatically creates a piano accompaniment score from songs on your smart device, allowing you to enjoy playing along with your favorite tunes.
Backing band accompaniment that you can sing along with
Enjoy accompaniment from a dynamic backing band, even when you’re playing by yourself. The accompaniment provides a wide variety of patterns across a range of genres to match your performance. You can also connect a microphone and sing along with harmony functions that allow you to automatically create a chorus backup for your performances, even when you’re singing alone.
The CSP Series features piano Voices created with samples from Yamaha’s flagship CFX concert grand piano and the world renowned Bösendorfer concert grand. These superb instruments reproduce the way sound echoes differently in different venues such as halls, cathedrals, and smaller rooms, and even recreate the subtle changes in tone that occur when the lid of a grand piano is opened or closed. With keys that rebound quickly for rapid playback of repeated notes, the CSP Series offers a feel strikingly similar to that of an actual grand piano.
- Innovation for effortless performance:
- -Clavinova is an innovative lineup of digital pianos that have continued to evolve while seeking to provide the touch and tone of a concert grand piano—the ultimate symbol of piano excellence. This authentic grand piano experience is the product of the knowledge and expertise that Yamaha has accumulated over more than 100 years of crafting acoustic pianos. Utilizing state-of-the-art technology to achieve grand piano quality, Clavinova digital pianos offer an inviting playing experience that is perfect for players of all levels. They emulate the touch and tone of a grand piano to make the transition from digital to acoustic piano a seamless and enjoyable one.
- The sound of some of the finest concert grand pianos in the world:
- -With two world-renowned concert grand pianos available at the touch of a button, the CSP Series lets you choose the perfect piano tone for the music you want to play. Offering far more than just sampled sounds, the CSP Series reproduces the Yamaha CFX concert grand and the legendary Bӧsendorfer Imperial in meticulous detail.
- A fully immersive concert grand experience—even with headphones:
- -Yamaha’s advanced binaural sampling technology is now available on the Clavinova. The technology uses samples from the CFX, Yamaha’s acclaimed concert grand piano, recorded with specialized microphones that capture locational information and other nuances discerned by the human ear. The resulting sound is so natural, so enveloping, that you’ll soon forget you’re even wearing headphones at all.
- Variety is the spice of life:
- -The CSP-170 features hundreds of high-quality instrument Voices including "Natural!", "Sweet!" and "Cool!" Voices sampled specially to compliment the instrument types. Yamaha's Super Articulation Voices (SA) add genuine performance attributes of the real musical instruments as though they were being naturally performed by a virtuoso of that instrument instead of from the keys of a piano keyboard. Examples include "fret noise" or "body knocks" from a guitar or the "inhales", "exhales" and glissandos from wind instruments. By simply varying your touch and playing techniques or using the pedals, SA voices will add significant authenticity to your sound.
- When you want to play more than just piano:
- -One of the defining features of a CSP Clavinova is the multitude of different Styles that can be controlled in real-time by playing chords on the keyboard. Accompaniment Styles introduce ensembles of virtual musicians to your performances in a variety of musical genres. From small jazz ensembles to full orchestras, you control what chords or harmony they play by what you play, plus you control the dynamic of the ensemble. Developed by professional session musicians from around the world, Styles add authentic, studio-quality backing players to your performances - even when you play by yourself.
- Natural Wood X keyboard—the feel of an acoustic grand:
- -Natural Wood X (NWX) keyboards are created using unrivaled expertise that Yamaha has acquired through more than a century of crafting fine pianos.
- -Just as with grand pianos, the material used for Natural Wood X keyboards is cut from wood that has been carefully dried specifically for use in making musical instruments. Only the best wood from the finest part of each tree is selected, resulting in a keyboard that is more resistant to buckling and warping than common laminated wood keyboards.
- -The Yamaha Natural Wood X keyboard features the same action and three-sensor configuration a Graded Hammer 3X keyboards, which accurately senses and interprets the behavior of the keyboard for a response that feels very similar to that of a grand piano. This allows you to vividly perform smooth, flowing passages or light trills, techniques used in many pieces such as Für Elise.
- Escapement mechanism of Clavinova Keyboards:
- -The escapement mechanism in a grand piano moves the hammers away from the strings quickly after they strike them, in order to prevent any interference with string vibration. This mechanism produces a slight clicking sensation when the keys are pressed gently. Since Real Grand Expression offers players superb sound, touch and pedaling, we decided to create an escapement that delivers outstanding playability, repetition, and response without impeding performance. The Clavinova keyboards feature an escapement mechanism that reproduces this sensation near the bottom of the key dip. They have been designed in such a way that the click is discernible only on the lightest keystrokes, similar to the keyboard of a grand piano. These keyboards have been adjusted to provide additional friction that balances key repetition and response without impeding performance.
- Synthetic ivory and ebony keytops—a pleasure to play even after hours of performance:
- -Our fingers are more sensitive than we think, and for pianists, the texture of the piano keys is extremely important. The NWX keyboard features white keys made from the highest quality synthetic ivory, developed independently by Yamaha. The black keys are finished in synthetic ebony. Synthetic ivory keytops reproduce the tactile surface of the real ivory keyboards once used in older acoustic pianos. It features highly absorbent material that prevents fingers from slipping even after hours of practice, while retaining the ideal texture and feel. Resulting from well over a century of experience in making acoustic pianos, this exclusive Yamaha technology achieves a finish that feels natural and comfortable. In addition to the feel, the appearance and fine texture of these keys is unmatched by any other digital piano, and is sure to inspire pianists from the moment they experience it.
- Keyboard Stabilizers—unique Yamaha mechanisms for improved keyboard stability and durability:
- -Keyboards fulfill the vital role of transforming emotion from your fingertips into sound and therefore, must be smooth to play in order to maintain superb touch for prolonged performances. That is why Yamaha has fitted Keyboard Stabilizers to all 88 keys, offering players a natural touch and improving the stability and durability of the keyboard.
- For a sound that truly resonates with the listener:
- -In a grand piano, strings and sounds resonate throughout the entire body of the instrument producing a rich reverberation that envelops the listener in sound. Not only are the strings you are playing vibrating, but other strings ring as a reaction to ones you play. This is one reason the piano's sound is so complex and rich.
- -This phenomenon is reproduced perfectly in the Clavinova through Virtual Resonance Modeling (VRM) which calculates the various states of the strings for each of the 88 notes on the keyboard from one instant to the next. As a result, the Clavinova reflects the limitless number of factors inherent in playing an acoustic piano such as which keys are pressed, the strength with which the keys are played and pedal timing.
- Acoustic Optimizer:
- -The speakers attached to the body exhibit a phenomenon in which, if nothing is done, the volume of the sound will increase due to the resonant frequency of the body. Conversely, installing pipes with the same resonant frequency within the body suppresses this resonance. Acoustic optimizers utilize this phenomenon.
- This improvement of the sound is something that has only been possible thanks to Yamaha‘s thorough knowledge of the internal acoustic characteristics of musical instruments.
- Sing in perfect Harmony… with yourself!:
- -You can enjoy karaoke backing with songs stored in your Clavinova or downloaded from YamahaMusicsoft.com. The lyrics are shown on the Smart Pianist app and the words change color as the song advances, so you know exactly when to come in.
- -Plug in a microphone, and you can sing along with your playing. The Vocal Harmony engine creates advanced sounding harmonies, enriching your voice and is even capable of correcting your pitch!
- Multi-track Song Recorder:
- -The recording function featured in Clavinova digital pianos allows you to record your performances* with a single touch, which is useful when you want to review your playing objectively. Additionally, you can record up to 16 tracks for simultaneous playback, so different hands can be recorded separately or overdub parts with different Voices.
- *Recordings are made in MIDI format, and can also be recorded to Smart Pianist App
- Audio Recorder:
- -Record performances to Smart Pianist App and create audio files* you can save and play back on a Smart device.
- Connect wirelessly for Smart Pianist:
- -Smart Pianist App supports not only wired connection but also wireless connection via UD-WL01, Wi-Fi USB wireless LAN adaptor.