Zoom H1n Portable Recorder
Zoom H1n Portable Recorder
Zoom H1n Portable Recorder overview from GAK
The H1n from Zoom is a compact and portable high-resolution recorder that produces superb quality recordings thanks to 24-bit/96kHz sample rates, immersive X/Y stereo sound microphones and an onboard limiter for distortion-free capture.
The H1n can capture audio up to 24-bit/96kHz sample rate, producing BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 formats. Capturing that audio is the same X/Y microphone configuration found in the H1n’s predecessor. This configuration is able to capture truly immersive stereo sound perfect for a range of applications including live performances, field recordings, interviews, podcasts and more.
The H1n features a number of upgrades and enhancements improving on the original H1, notably the new layout and user-friendly interface that features a monochromatic 1.25-inch backlit LCD display and intuitive one-touch button controls. With this combination, you can quickly and easily navigate transport functions and monitor essential information and settings to ensure you can record quickly and importantly, get those recordings right.
Further onboard features that optimise your recordings include the H1n’s ‘Auto Level’ button and limiter, these work to ensure your recordings never clip and distort, combined with the recorders 120dB SPL, recordings are clean even when capturing a loud source. The ‘Voice Emphasize Filter’ is perfect for podcasting and voice-over recordings whilst the ‘Stereo Overdubbing’ function allows you to stack unlimited layers of audio to create a richer recording. Other highly functional features include auto record, self-timer and pre-record, options that allow you to set up and record in any number of scenarios.
The Zoom H1n is highly compact and portable, it has a small handheld design giving you the ability to capture sounds in superb quality on the move, in any given situation and environment. Although small and light the H1n has a battery life of up to 10 hours with alkaline batteries, recording directly on to SD or MicroSDHC cards of up to a massive 32GB. With a 1/8-inch phone/line output jack with independent volume control for headphones to monitor recordings in real time. A stereo 1.8-inch Mic/Line in mini-phone jack can also be found on the units left-hand side for use with external equipment.
Purchase of any Zoom H1n also comes complete with Steinberg’s Cubase LE digital audio workstation to arrange, edit and mix your recordings. Secondly, Wavelab LE audio editing software provides a massive suite of tools such as filters and effects to enhance and transform your recordings. With the addition of this software, you can get started creating unique recordings immediately.
- One-touch button controls
- 1.25” monochrome LCD display
- Intuitive menus for easy operation
- Stereo X/Y 90˚microphones handle up to 120 dB SPL
- Stereo ⅛" Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Stereo ⅛" Phone/Line Output jack with dedicated
- volume control
- Limiter button for input signal up to 120 dB SPL
- Playback Speed Control, Voice Emphasize Filter,
- and Stereo Bounce functions
- Auto-Record, Pre-Record, and Self-Timer functions
- Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant
- WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Tone generator for filmmaking use with DSLR
- and video cameras
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB
- Micro USB port for data exchange to and from computer
- and use as an audio interface
- Runs on only 2 standard AAA alkaline, Lithium, or
- NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AC adapter (AD-17)
- Up to 10 hours of operation with alkaline batteries
- Simultaneous playback tracks:
- - 2
- Simultaneous recording tracks:
- - 2
- - Lo-cut Filter, Limiter,Test Tone,Slate-Tone,Voice Emphasize Filter, Playback Position Skipping, Playback Speed Control, A-B Repeat, Auto REC Level, Marker, Auto-Record, Pre-Record, Self-Timer, Overdubbing
- Recording formats:
- - WAV: 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96
- - kHz/24-bit
- A/D conversion:
- - 24-bit, 128x oversampling
- D/A conversion:
- - 24-bit, 128x oversampling
- Signal processing:
- - 32-bit
- Recording media:
- - microSD/microSDHC cards (Class 4 or higher, up to 32GB
- - 1.25" monochrome LCD (96 × 64)
- Built-in stereo mic:
- - Unidirectional condenser, 90° XY stereo format
- Gain: -∞ dB to +39 dB
- Maximum sound pressure level: 120 dB SPL
- - 1/8" stereo phone jack
- Rated input level: -∞ dB to -39 dBm
- Input impedance: 2 kΩ
- Plug-in power supported (2.5 V)
- Built-in speaker:
- - Built-in 500 mW mono speaker
- Output impedance: 8 Ω
- - 1/8" stereo phone jack (combined line/headphones)
- - Rated output level: 20 mW + 20 mW into 32Ω load
- - Output impedance: 10 kΩ or more
- - Micro USB port
- Mass storage class operation: USB 2.0 high speed
- Audio interface operation: 44.1/48kHz sampling rate, 16-bit depth, 2-in/2-out
- Transfer method: asynchronous
- Power requirements:
- - 2 AAA batteries (alkaline, nickel-metal hydride rechargeable,
- or lithium)
- AC adapter (ZOOM AD-17): DC 5V/1A
- USB bus power
- Battery life (alkaline batteries):
- - Approximately 10 hours
- (continuous recording time using built-in mic, 44.1 kHz/16-bit)
- - 1.9 in (W) x 5.4 in (D) x 1.2 in (H)
- 50 mm (W) × 137.5 mm (D) × 32 mm (H)
- 0.13 lbs / 60 g (without batteries)
Not sure if they want feedback or a review on the product! But I had the earlier model which I loved, and this is essentially the same, but a big improvement on the design. On the older one, a tripod mount could easily move the buttons on the bottom like switching to mp3 when you wanted wav! Now these features are on the top so I will not have to worry about this again! As for this supplier: arrived quickly. Best price I could find online and did not feel postage charges were excessive just to make the actual price lower than it should be! Yes, very pleased.
Handy device, easy to use, quality sound, versatile.
Great little recorder! Excellent equality and function for the price. Got it for our daughter to record her song ideas.
Excellent little device, compact enough to be taken anywhere, good for field recording beginners (like myself) and the supporting software easy to use .deserves the 5 stars...
It's a classic! I'm sure there is better stuff out there but it's very easy to use and quite versatile.