Fender Michael Landau Coma Stratocaster, Coma Red Overview
Having performed on countless albums across four decades – Michael Landau is undoubtedly one of the most recorded guitarists of all time. An L.A. session ace and a player’s player, Landau’s soulful, dynamic and endlessly creative playing has allowed him to remain in-demand across eras and genres, firmly establishing his legacy as an icon of the electric guitar. Mike’s guitar has graced records by James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart, Mile Davis, Boz Scaggs, Pink Floyd, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Bonnie Raitt and many more.
Throughout his session work and solo career, Mike’s constant companion, workhorse, canvas and muse has been a 1959 Stratocaster called “Coma.” Michael found the Coma, already modified, at a local L.A. guitar shop when he was 16. The refinished body and swapped-out pickups gave him all the permission he needed to customize the instrument throughout his career to match his evolving style and meet the needs of round-the-clock studio sessions. The distinctive, half-stripped Dakota Red finish and permanent marker “Coma” graphic make it unmistakable, but the guitar has had several different incarnations over the years, hosting a wide variety of pickups, electronics, hardware configurations and bridges.
The version of Coma recreated in the Fender Stories collection represents the guitar as it exists now. Electronics include custom-designed ML Noiseless Strat neck-and-middle pickups and a custom Wide Range humbucking pickup in the bridge position. Hardware includes a 6-screw vintage-style Stratocaster tremolo with a cold-rolled steel block, a custom ML-spec neck, Fender ClassicGear tuning machines and the signature faded red satin lacquer body complete with a Floyd Rose route. The Michael Landau Coma Stratocaster wears its rich history on full display, truly representing a vital artist that’s always in transition.
Also included are a “Coma” sticker set, custom strap, Coma pick tin (with limited edition Michael Landau picks) and a custom Coma-embroidered hardshell case.
- Body: Alder
- Body Shape: Stratocaster®
- Body Finish: Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Control Knobs: Black Stratocaster®-Style Skirt
- Fingerboard: Slab Rosewood
- Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Tortoiseshell
- Inlays: White Pearloid Dot - 7mm
- Neck Finish: Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish with Gloss Headstock Face
- Neck Construction: 4-Bolt Standard
- Neck Pickup: Custom ML Noiseless™ Single-Coil Strat®
- Side Dots: White Pearloid
- Orientation: Right Handed
- Headstock: Statocaster
- Configuration: HSS
- Bridge Pickup: Custom ML CuNiFe Wide-Range Humbucker
- Middle Pickup: Custom ML Noiseless™ Single-Coil Strat®
- String Nut: Bone
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck/Middle Pickups), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
- Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: 1. Bridge Pickup, 2. Bridge & Middle Pickup, 3. Middle Pickup, 4. Middle & Neck Pickup, 5. Neck Pickup
- Bridge: 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Synchronized Tremolo with Bent Steel Saddles
- Tuning Machines: Fender® ClassicGear™
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Shape: Custom "C"
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Narrow Tall
- Scale Length: 25.5" (64.77 cm)
- Case/Gig Bag: Included: Vintage-Style Navy Blue with Brown Ends (Gold Interior with Coma Embroidery)
Fender American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster, Rosewood Fingerboard, 2-Colour Sunburst
Fender American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster Floyd Rose HSS, Maple Fingerboard, Silverburst