Moog Minimoog Model D
Moog Minimoog Model D Product Overview by GAK
Originally built in the early 70's as Moog's first portable synthesiser, the Model D is finally back in production for the first time since 1981.
The Minimoog Model D is a 3-oscillator, monophonic, analog synthesiser securely housed in a locally-sourced Appalachian hard-wood enclosure and hand-finished aluminium chassis.
Although it still contains the original sound engine, it now includes a series of popular functional modifications that expand this legendary instrument’s sonic capabilities. These include; Fatar keybed with velocity and after pressure available via top panel CV jacks, a dedicated analog LFO with triangle and square waveshapes, CV outputs for pitch, gate, velocity and after pressure, basic MIDI integration, and a mixer overload modification.
If you want the legendary Moog sound but with a modern twist, the Minimoog Model D is the synth for you.
Moog Product Overview
For the first time since 1981, Moog Music has officially resumed production of the Minimoog Model D. The Moog Model D was the world’s first portable synthesiser and served as the archetype for all electronic keyboards that followed.
First released in the early 1970’s, the instrument gained worldwide acclaim for combining the colossal sound of Moog’s large-format modular synthesisers with the accessibility of pre-wired modules. Over the last 40 years, some of the world’s most influential artists like Trent Reznor, Gary Numan, Dr. Dre, Keith Emerson and Herbie Hancock have shaped their unique sounds and forged new musical genres using the Minimoog Model D. This valuable sonic tool is now made available to veteran synthesists and the next generation of electronic pioneers.
Each newly built Minimoog Model D is lovingly handcrafted by the employee-owners at the Moog Factory in Asheville, NC. This 3-oscillator, monophonic, analog synthesiser is securely housed in a locally-sourced Appalachian hard-wood enclosure and hand-finished aluminum chassis. The circuit boards retain the exact component placement and through-hole design of a beloved 1970’s era Minimoog Model D.
Though no changes have been made to the original sound engine or audio signal path, the Minimoog Model D now includes a series of popular functional modifications that expand this legendary instrument’s sonic capabilities. These modifications include a premium Fatar keybed with velocity and after pressure available via top panel CV jacks, a dedicated analog LFO with triangle and square waveshapes, CV outputs for pitch, gate, velocity and after pressure, basic MIDI integration, and a mixer overload modification, which when engaged, allows the Moog Model D to conjure thicker and far more overdriven sounds than before.
For further information, or to place an order call 01273665413
- 3 vintage Moog oscillators
- Classic Moog low pass ladder filter with resonance
- Analog circuit boards recreated using original designs and component placement
- Custom reissued transistors critical to sound quality and character
- Military spec precision resistors
- Precision Linear System matched JFETs in oscillators
- Classic thermoset, knurled pitch and mod wheels
- CV Modifications: outputs added for Pitch, Aftertouch, Velocity and Gate (Aftertouch and Velocity have dedicated output level attenuators)
- Modulation Modifications: analog Triangle/Square wave LFO and Filter Envelope added as modulation sources, as well as an External Modulation CV input
- Overload Modification: the output of the Minimoog Model D is automatically scaled and fed back to the External Audio Input for instantly available overdrive
- Improved circuit board connectors for touring reliability
- Fatar TP-9 keybed with velocity and aftertouch
- MIDI in, out and thru
- Frequency Range: 0.1 to 20 kHz (In Six Overlapping Ranges)
- Oscillator Stability (short term) > 0.25 %
- Triangle-Sawtooth (Oscillator–1, Oscillator–2)
- Reverse Sawtooth (Oscillator–3)
- Wide Pulse
- Narrow Pulse
- Key Action: Synthesizer (Spring)
- Number of Keys: 44
- Key Range: F0 to C4
- Priority (Low, High, Last): User Selectable
- Hardwired Connections:
- Oscillator–1 (Pitch)
- Oscillator–2 (Pitch)
- Filter Contour (Trigger)
- Loudness Contour (Trigger)
- Switchable Connections:
- Oscillator–3 (Pitch)
- Filter (Keyboard Tracking 1/3)
- Filter (Keyboard Tracking 2/3)
- Typical Voltage: 0.5 volts
- Maximum Voltage: 4.2 volts (peak-to-peak)
- Nominal Output Impedance: 3K Ohms
- Glide Rate (octave): 1 millisecond to 10 seconds
- Pitch Bend Range: (+/-) 5 semitones (minimum)
- Width: 28.625” / 727 mm
- Depth: 17.125” / 435 mm
- Height: 5.75” / 146 mm
- Net Weight: 32 lbs. / 14.5 kg.