Native Instruments Maschine MK3 Production Controller
Overview by GAK
The MASCHINE MK series is essentially considered to be Native Instrument's mainstream and most popular range of MASCHINE controllers. An all-rounder, staple, solid choice for customers wanting a controller that packs a wide range of production applications and has a strong lineage of fantastic build-quality and performance.
The MASCHINE MK3 is the latest model in the series and preserves that lineage, this time, sporting a brand new remodelling from the MK1 and 2 incorporating fresh, stand-alone features, as well as applied features taken from other MASCHINE models such as the STUDIO and JAM.
Fresh out of the box, we think the new look and build quality is fantastic, applying everything we loved about the MK2 and only improving it further. The new all-metal construction is highly robust yet only weighs an additional 0.4KG more than the MK2. The main body has been elongated by 0.25" and shaved off almost an inch from its height. Produce your music with effortless hands-on control, in Pad mode drum in beats, trigger sounds, play like a piano and more via the MK3's 16 enlarged, ultra-responsive, velocity-sensitive pads.
Two brand new stunning LED full-colour screens are an impressive addition to the MK3 controller, combined with a four-directional push controller, you can easily browse and navigate through your sounds, samples, FXs, instruments and plug-ins as well as precisely slice up your samples via the ultra-clear waveform display the screens are capable of.
Control every element of the MK3 with its 8 touch-sensitive knobs that do more than just affect a single parameter. Trigger menus, map plug-ins, FX and more to macros and adjust sound settings with these highly responsive and solid dials.
Taken from the MASCHINE JAM, the MK3 features the awesome smart strip, offering you a completely new way to handle the controller to manipulate and experiment with sound. The strip can act as pitch-bend and modulate wheel, adjust parameters, integrate FX such as stutter and scratch, play individual notes and even finger-strum synth chords, samples and more.
The MK3 now comes equipped with a built-in, studio-grade audio interface producing high-quality 96kHz 24-bit audio via its rear-facing range of inputs. Attach your dynamic mic, patch in your synth, plug in your guitar and get
An updated transport section on the MK3 provides you with intuitive transport controls that integrate smoothly with most DAWs to give you more control of your project at your fingertips. The MASCHINE MK3's locking function allows you to take a snapshot and save your set parameters, manipulate your sounds in real-time, then return to your original settings by hitting the lock button.
The included MASCHINE software includes an 8GB sound library developed and populated by professional sound designers and leading music artists. Create music immediately with the MK3 thanks to the inclusion of 8627 readily available samples, 445 playable drum kits, 388 finely tuned multi-sampled instruments, 403 loops, 1200 constructed patterns and 38 projects!
Additionally, register the MASCHINE MK3 to receive a download for KOMPLETE 12 SELECT, a collection of essential instruments and effects catering for a vast array of genres. Gain access to over 25GB of instruments and effects including the pivotal MASSIVE synthesiser and legendary SCARBEE MARK I electric piano among many more. Combined with the immense number of additional compatible instruments, plug-ins and NKS* instruments, the MK3 will keep you busy for a long, long time.
There are so many features to this controller that you will be discovering new and exciting tools and playing features for weeks after it arrives. This is a no-joke professional controller and instrument with untold potential for everyone from the production amateur to the seasoned musical professional.
- Integrated hardware/software system includes sampler, arranger, mixer, FX, and more
- 8 GB MASCHINE library with samples, one-shots, sliced loops, sampled instruments, presets, patterns, drum kits, and songs
- Includes 25 GB KOMPLETE 12 SELECT library – see opposite for details
- 25 pro-quality studio and creative FX including filter, EQ, delay, reverb and compressor
- 2 high-resolution RGB color displays for precision sample slicing, sound tweaking, note editing, mixing, browsing, and more
- 16 large, ultra-sensitive pads make two-handed drumming easy
- Pro-grade, 96 kHz / 24-bit audio interface with 2 x 1⁄4” TRS line outputs, 2 x 1⁄4” TRS line inputs, 1⁄4” dynamic mic input, stereo headphone output, 1 x MIDI In, 1 x MIDI out; 1 x Footswitch
- Touch sensitive knobs for parameter tweaking
- Smart Strip for strumming notes, pitch bending sounds, performing with FX, and more
- Four-directional push encoder for browsing, navigating, adjusting levels and balance
- Powered via USB 2.0 or with the included power supply unit
- Seamless integration with KOMPLETE
- Classic groovebox features including 16 velocity levels, swing,
- pad link, note repeat, step sequencer, and vintage MPC 60/SP 1200 sampling emulation
- Compatible with all major DAWs (including Ableton Live, Logic Pro, and FL Studio) as a VST or Audio Units plug-in with full multi-core support
No upgrades available
Great bit of kit! Well worth the money!
Still early days, but it is great fun and much more powerful than expected
Upgraded from Mikro Mk2 (which I really liked). Faster and much easier workflow on the full-size Mk3 and more importantly the keyboard and chord modes show what the actual notes and chords are available which is lacking on the Mikro and was one of the main reasons for upgrading.
great machine..alot to learn
Takes a bit of setting up and getting used to I was dissapointed at first as it took time to get used to but it is brilliant! There are a lot of downloads for this which are Massive :-D so unless you have fast broadband and plenty of hard disk space it will take a while to set up. There are some good tutorials online and the basic software you need to run it is currently Maschine 2 which if you don't want to do all the downloads this is one you will need. You will also need it if you want to use the hardware with Cubase for which there are limited videos. As a keyboard player I have found this inspiring as the pad layout makes me think differently about key signatures and chord progerssions as well as drum patterns. I think I may have preferred Maschine studio but it is a bit more and I do love this. Very happy ;-)