Shure KSM8 Dualdyne Vocal Microphone, Black
Overview by GAK
This version of the KSM8 sports a sleek Black finish. It’s also available in Brushed Nickel, which oozes vintage charm.
The Shure KSM8 Dualdyne Vocal Microphone is designed for unparalleled live vocal reproduction and is the world’s first dual-diaphragm dynamic hand-held microphone. This mic has a huge sweet spot that sounds great with any vocal type and features a sophisticated look. If you’re looking for a high-performance microphone that’ll ensure you always sound your best - the KM58 is a fantastic choice!
The Shure KSM8’s patented cartridge design boasts one ultra-thin active diaphragm and one passive. The result is nigh-on total removal of the KSM8’s proximity effect, improved off-axis rejection and reduced off-axis colouration. Put simply, this means the KSM8 produces a wonderfully natural and consistent sound - regardless of your mic technique. This means you can perform knowing your voice will always sound top notch!
The KSM8 also incorporates a revolutionary inverted airflow system, which provides a well-defined cardioid polar pattern and reduces the proximity effect even further. The accurate frequency response allows for neutral mid-and-high frequency reproduction and requires less external processing/EQ than most other stage mics.
Aside from its remarkable technical specifications, the KSM8 sports a nicely balanced body that’s comfortable to hold and a dent-resistant hardened carbon-steel grille design. Lined with a hydrophobic woven fabric - which provides both exceptional plosive/wind protection and virtually waterproof protection - the KSM8 won’t let you down during those blustery and rainy performances!
This is by far one of the best stage microphones you can buy and it’s great value considering the astounding level of build/sound quality. If you’re looking for a professional-grade live mic that will always do your voice justice, the KSM8 is a fantastic choice.
Overview by Shure
Cardioid dynamic vocal microphone is the first high-end dual-diaphragm dynamic microphone. It features a patented Dualdyne cartridge to combat proximity effect and master off-axis rejection, and a patent-pending Diaphragm Stabilization System.
Where should KSM8 be used?
KSM8 redefines dynamic microphone technology for leading performers and engineers. It virtually eliminates proximity effect and provides unmatched vocal accuracy with minimal EQ and processing and has been designed for use in large, complex sound systems. Providing absolute vocal clarity, KSM8 is suited for production studios, live performance venues and broadcast productions.
Characteristics of the KSM8
KSM8 has an extremely wide sweet spot, due to the design of the Dualdyne element and its ability to control proximity effect. Additionally, the neutral mid/high-frequency response means that there is little external processing required, resulting in consistent, natural-sounding audio, regardless of the artist’s mic technique and placement.
How is Unidyne III different than Dualdyne?
The Unidyne III cartridge features a single diaphragm with a pneumatic shock mount. The advanced technology of the Dualdyne cartridge originates in the second diaphragm which has been added. Besides the active diaphragm, a second passive diaphragm has been implemented, which is part of the cartridge’s acoustic network that provides an unattained mastery of proximity effect.
- Patented cartridge design featuring two ultra-thin diaphragms (one active and one passive) and groundbreaking inverted airflow system.
- Exceptional control of proximity effect vastly increases working distance without on-axis coloration.
- Accurate frequency response due to controlled proximity effect which allows for neutral mid-and-high frequency reproduction, resulting in the most natural sounding dynamic microphone available.
- Off-axis attenuation is flat and broad resulting in superior quality of rejection of unwanted sound sources for increased vocal clarity.
- Advanced Pneumatic Shock Mount design for exceptional rejection of handling noise without any loss of low frequency response.
- Dent-resistant, hardened carbon-steel grille design lined with hydrophobic woven fabric provides exceptional plosive and wind protection, while offering virtually waterproof protection.
- Available in select Shure wireless systems, compatible with all interchangeable Shure handheld wireless transmitters
- Cartridge Type: Dual-Diaphragm Dynamic (moving coil)
- Frequency Response: 40 to 16,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern Cardioid
- Output Impedance: 300 ohms
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz, open circuit voltage -51.5 dBV/Pa (1.85 mV)
- Polarity Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3
- Net Weight: 330 g (11.64 oz.)
- Connector Three-pin professional audio (XLR), male
- Housing Die-cast Aluminium with Paint or Brushed Nickel Finish