Universal Audio OX Amp Top Box
Overview by GAK
The OX Amp Top Box is an analog reactive load box for tube guitar amps, allowing you to easily play and record your tube amp anywhere and at any volume.
The unit features UA’s impressive Dynamic speaker modelling, emulating both speaker break up and cone cry. As well as this you will also find Universal Audio’s EQ, Compression, Delay and Reverb effects.
There’s a whole host of mic and guitar cabinet emulations onboard, all accessible using the six-position “RIG” control (which is found on the front panel).
Overview by Universal Audio
Get Legendary Studio Tones from your Tube Amp — Anywhere, at Any Volume.
OX is a premium reactive load box and guitar recording system, giving you perfectly studio-miked amp sounds from your favorite tube amp. OX lets you play and record your amp in its sweet spots — from huge clean tones and edge-of-breakup to fully cranked — at any volume level, and with mic, room, and speaker cabinet emulations at the turn of a knob.
Featuring Universal Audio’s breakthrough Dynamic Speaker Modeling, OX is the first system to accurately emulate speaker drive, breakup, and cone cry — making it the world’s finest speaker attenuator and guitar amp recording solution.
The World’s Best Reactive Load Box
With decades of analog hardware engineering expertise, Universal Audio’s dream team of engineers set out to design a reactive load box that retains the tone, dynamics, and feel of your tube amp — no matter how much it’s attenuated. The goal was for your tube amp to “see” OX as an actual speaker — with continuously variable impedance and response — so you don’t lose a drop of tone or playing dynamics.
A Complete Guitar Recording System
OX’s front-panel, six-position RIG control allows you to quickly choose from complete setups — including emulated speaker cabinets, close mics, ambient room mics, and up to four simultaneous studio effects. OX is also the only guitar recording system to offer a complete selection of expertly placed room mics, giving you the authentic experience of pushing air while recording your cranked amp in a world-class tracking room.
Dynamic Speaker Modeling
UA’s groundbreaking Dynamic Speaker Modeling faithfully emulates speaker breakup, drive, and cone cry — an essential ingredient to authentic tube amp tones. Using the Speaker Breakup knob in the OX app, you can control the harmonics and sonic complexity that occurs only at certain frequencies and volume levels on various speakers — far beyond a static Impulse Response system — giving you the same sonic phenomenon that occurs with a real speaker cabinet.
A Studio Full of Vintage & Modern Cabs and Microphones
With its generous complement of 22 cabinets and six microphones, OX Amp Top Box gives you nearly any tone imaginable.
All The Right Connections
Not only does OX Amp Top Box feature a front-panel headphone jack for silent practice with your cranked tube amp, it also sports a bevy of connections for all kinds of recording and live workflows. Stereo S/PDIF digital outputs via RCA and optical TOSLINK, as well as balanced TRS stereo line outputs with front panel level control, give you the necessary connections for studio monitors, DAW, or live mixing console inputs. Plus, you can connect any one, two, or three-button footswitch and toggle OX’s studio-quality effects on and off.
- Premium, no-compromise analog reactive load box for tube guitar amps
- Five finely-tuned guitar amp attenuation levels
- Front-panel “Rig” control for instant, album-quality mic and speaker cabinet emulations
- UA Dynamic Speaker Modelling emulates speaker breakup and cone cry
- World-class Universal Audio EQ, compression, delay, and reverb effects built-in
- Selectable 4, 8, and 16-ohm operation
- Front-panel Headphone out for silent practice with cranked tones
- Balanced TRS line outs, and S/PDIF digital outs for recording
- Pair with OX mobile or desktop app over Wi-Fi for editing and saving presets
- Play and record your tube amp in its perfect tonal sweet spot — anywhere, and at any volume
- Instantly audition dozens of album-quality mic and guitar cabinet emulations with front panel "Rig" control
- Pair your amp to the world's best reactive load, with boutique UA analog quality — built for years of home and studio use
- Get authentic "edge of destruction" tones complete with speaker breakup and cone cry, via UA Dynamic Speaker Modelling
No upgrades available
The OX does exactly what it’s supposed to do. It’s outstanding.
I found it hard to get a great sound out of. It’s massive and heavy, pictures just don’t convey that.
It’s become a regular feature in my recordings. Looking forward to using it for gigging.