Akai Professional APC64 Ableton Live Controller Overview
The Akai Professional APC64 Ableton Live Controller offers hands-on interaction with the popular DAW with its 8x8 RGB velocity-sensitive pad matrix, eight fully assignable touch strips and integrated 8-track, 32-step sequencer, making it an indispensable tool for serious musicians and producers.
The Akai Professional APC64 is a fantastic tool for music producers and artists who want a controller that integrates effortlessly with both hardware and virtual instruments. With its advanced features and user-friendly design, the APC64 has fundamentally transformed the landscape of DAW control and music production.
Forget everything you thought you knew about Ableton Live controllers. The Akai Professional APC64 redefines your interaction with this quintessential digital audio workstation (DAW). The controller’s 8x8 pad matrix, featuring 64 RGB velocity-sensitive pads, acts as your conduit to all things Ableton Live. Manipulate your music with precision and flair, whether you’re navigating your way through dark recording environments or the spotlight of the stage.
Dynamic Control at Your Fingertips
No need to compromise on expression; the eight fully assignable touch strips offer instantaneous control over modulation, filter cutoff, volume, effects and more. Adjust your mix in real-time and stay informed via the APC’s colour screen, displaying critical control data and levels.
Fresh Pathways to Musical Innovation
Compose arresting melodies and complex chord progressions with the APC64’s Notes and Chords modes. And if you’re struggling with inspiration, the Probability and Mutate features offer creative pathways to jolt your compositions in novel directions. Preserve these spontaneous musical ventures with the integrated 8-track, 32-step sequencer.
Designed for Seamless DAW Navigation
Akai has designed the APC64 with your workflow in mind. Beyond the standard scene launch buttons, this controller comes equipped with dedicated transport controls, offering play, stop, and record buttons. Control track arming, dial-in volume, adjust sends or modulate your sound spatially with panning controls. Additionally, backlit mode buttons offer shortcuts to call up essential functions in Ableton Live, streamlining your process for optimized productivity.
External Gear Control: Break Free from the DAW
For those moments when inspiration strikes away from your computer, the APC64 serves as a standalone controller for your MIDI and CV hardware. Power the unit over USB, and connect with your synths, Eurorack modules, and drum machines through 8x CV/Gate outputs and dual MIDI ports.
Comprehensive Software and Plug-in Suite
Akai Professional hasn’t skimped on additional software offerings. The APC64 comes bundled with a plethora of Air Instruments, Sonivox VST/AU plug-ins, and a generous 1GB of loops and drum samples from Sampletools by CR2 Records. Plus, you’ll get a copy of Ableton Live Lite, letting you experience seamless, hands-on control when used in tandem with the APC64.
- In depth control of Ableton Live:
- - 64 velocity-sensitive pads with poly aftertouch for launching clips, playing notes, creating beats, and sequencing patterns
- - 8 fully assignable touch strips enable hands-on control of devices, expression, the mixer and more
- - Color display with encoder dial for real-time visual feedback
- Powerful production and performance features:
- - Play notes, chords, trigger drum racks as well as controlling Live’s session view
- - Step sequencer mode for creating melody and drum patterns in Live
- - Send to Clip integration for transferring MIDI to Ableton Clip Matrix
- - Probability, velocity and mutate functions enable creative experimentation
- - Apply per-track swing to your beats, along with length and time division settings
- Effortlessly navigate Ableton Live:
- - Backlit mode buttons enable quick access to Live’s functions
- - Dedicated transport control with Play, Stop and Record buttons
- - Full color display instantly feeds back session information
- Standalone sequencer and external hardware control:
- - Unplug your computer and connect synths and drum machines to 3x 1/8” MIDI ports
- - Take control of your modular rig with 8 separate CV/gate outputs
- - Program the step sequencer or trigger events with the pads, and send continuous control data with the Touch Strips
- - APC64 comes with a software application for editing parameters and saving presets in standalone, including a custom mode wherein RGB colors can be freely assigned
- Ships with Ableton Live Lite and a collection of plug-ins:
- - Includes Ableton Live Lite which works seamlessly with APC64 right out of the box
- - Live Lite includes sounds, instruments and sequencing, recording and arranging capabilities
- - Suite of plug-ins from Air Instruments and Sonivox: including classic keyboards, synths, reverbs, vocal processors and vintage effects
- - Comes with an additional 1GB of Loops and drum samples from Sampletools by CR2 Records
- All information subject to change akaipro.com
- APC64 is pre-mapped in Ableton 11.x* and above.
- - Graphical full colour LCD
- - USB-C®
- - 8 1/8” (3.5 mm) CV/Gate
- - 2 1/8” (3.5 mm) MIDI Output
- - 1 1/8” (3.5 mm) MIDI Input
- Dimensions (width x depth x height):
- - 10.7” x 14.6” x 1.4”
- - 272 x 371 x 34.5 mm
- - 3.5 lb/1.6 kg Software
- - Ableton Live control requires Live 11 or higher
M-Audio BX5 D3 Active Studio Monitor
M-Audio BX4 Active Studio Monitors, Pair
M-Audio BX3 Active Studio Monitors, Pair