Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1957 Les Paul Special, Ultra Light Aged, TV Yellow
The Gibson Les Paul Special was originally designed as a budget model, but still as a ‘step up’ from the Les Paul Junior. It’s first run lasted from 1955 - 1958 until Gibson turned it into a double-cutaway model, which then morphed into what we know today as the SG. The classic TV Yellow finish was chosen as Gibson thought it would look good on black and white television.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
The 1957 Les Paul Special has a 1-piece solid mahogany body, and the neck has a Chunky C-shape profile and is also made from solid mahogany, topped with a smooth Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 authentic medium-jumbo sized frets. It also has a wraparound tailpiece for increased sustain. For pickups, it has a pair of high-output Custom Soapbar P-90 pickups which produce a raw, powerful tone and cuts through the mix, with 2 volume and 2 controls and a 3-way Switchcraft pickup selector so you can easily get the sound you need.
To complete the 1957 Les Paul Special is nickel Murphy Lab light aged hardware, a black pickguard and a classic TV Yellow finish with nitrocellulose lacquer for historical authenticity.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a brown/pink Lifton reissue 5-latch case, a certificate of authenticity, a mounted Custom Shop switch plate medallion, and a reissue switch backplate in the case.
Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson’s legacy through accuracy, authenticity and attention to detail.
Legend has it that the famous “TV Yellow” color of the Les Paul™ Special was named for its vivid appearance on black & white televisions in the 1950s. That’s debatable. What’s not up for debate is the indelible imprint this model had on music history since its inception. The classy looks and thick, meaty tones of the Les Paul Special have been preferred by players of all genres. And this 1957 Les Paul Special Reissue from the Gibson Custom Shop revives every single feature in spectacular detail for the ultimate vintage ownership experience – from the solid mahogany construction to the roaring P-90s. It also features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: Les Paul
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Binding: Fingerboard 1-Ply Cream
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Chunky C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Celluloid Dot
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Tailpiece: Wraparound
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Strip with White Buttons
- Pickguard: Black Multi-Ply
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats
- Switch Tip: Amber
- Switchwasher: Black
- Jack Plate Cover: Black Multi-Ply
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Pickup Covers: Black Soapbar
- Neck Pickup: Custom Soapbar P-90
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Soapbar P-90
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch case
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity, Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion; Reissue Switch Backplate in Case