Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1959 Les Paul Standard, Light Aged, Royal Teaburst
The 1959 Les Paul Standard is one of the most coveted guitars around and considered the ‘holy grail’ amongst vintage guitars. Only around 650 of the original guitars were produced, making them rare and beyond unaffordable to most. But now with the launch of the new Gibson Murphy Lab, you can get hold of a replica of this classic guitar, crafted by a team of experts led by one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, Tom Murphy.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
This model has 1-piece lightweight mahogany back and a 2-piece Figured Maple top with a striking Royal Teaburst finish - a classic combination. The neck is made from solid mahogany with an authentic ‘59 Medium C-Shape profile and 24.75” scale length, which is topped with a smooth Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 Historic Medium Jumbo frets and a 12” radius. It also has an ABR-1 bridge with a lightweight aluminium stop bar and Kluson single line, single ring tuning machines.
For pickups, it has two unpotted Custombucker Alnico 3 pickups with a 3-way pickup selector. The 2 volume and 2 controls give you even more control over your sound.
To complete the 1959 Les Paul Standard is Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid inlays, gold butyrate top hats, 1-ply Royalite binding on the body, and nickel Murphy Lab Light Aged hardware to match the Light Ageing of the guitar
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch Case, a Certificate of Authenticity, a Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion, and a Reissue Switch Backplate in case.
Weight - 8.50lbs
Gibson Custom Shop’s 1959 Les Paul™ Standard Reissue is not just a tribute to the priceless original models – it’s a clone of them. From laser-scanned dimensions to chemically-recreated plastics to color-matched shades of sunburst, every element has been rendered in unbelievable detail. It represents the culmination of decades of work by Custom Shop’s expert team – a tireless quest to bring accuracy and authenticity to the hands of fans. It’s the definition of cool, and it’s the best representation of the 1959 Les Paul Standard since the Gibson Custom Shop began making Historic Reissues over twenty-five years ago. It features Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: Les Paul
- Top: 2-Piece Figured Maple, Hide Glue Fit
- Back: 1-Piece Lightweight Mahogany
- Binding: 1-Ply Royalite
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '59 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stop Bar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Single Line, Single Ring
- Pickguard: Laminated Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Gold Butyrate Top Hats
- Switch Tip: Amber Catalin
- Switchwasher: Replica Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Jack Plate Cover: Laminated Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Control Covers: Black Royalite
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Mounting Rings: M69 Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch Case
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity, Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion; Reissue Switch Backplate in Case
Early days but frustrating that Gibson have gone and done it again! Trumps your normal reissue, much better than the Collector’s Choice and a nice tweak on the 60th Anniversary Les Pauls! Best yet for me! And I’ve owned a few!