Korg SQ-64 Poly Sequencer
Overview by GAK
Korg’s SQ-64 is a super flexible and portable 64-step polyphonic sequencer. If you’re looking for a central hub with an intuitive workflow that can connect to and synchronise all of your hardware - the Korg SQ-64 is a fantastic choice.
Featuring a 64-step pad matrix (that can double as a keyboard with various layouts), a pristine OLED display that’s visible from any angle, a sleek and sturdy aluminium body, a diverse array of connections and a host of other under the hood capabilities, it’s never been easier to sequence and control your gear.
The SQ-64’s versatile selection of inputs and outputs make it a great centrepiece for any setup - whether it’s comprised of analogue gear, digital gear or a combination of the two! MIDI IN (x1) and OUT (x2), micro USB type B, Sync IN & OUT, 3 Melody tracks each with MODULATION, PITCH and GATE outputs and a DRUM track with 8 individual trigger outputs for controlling analogue synths, Eurorack, and drum machines. Each of the three Melody tracks comprises of sixteen patterns with up to sixty-four steps per track. The Drum track features sixteen sub-tracks with up to sixty-four steps each that can be played chained and edited in a myriad of ways. The melody tracks and patterns can be tweaked with the Gate, Pitch and Modulation modes, allowing you to inject some exciting variation into your sequences. The outputs of the Drum track can be fine-tuned to sync up with the polarity and voltage requirements of your equipment. Thanks to the SQ-64’s audio Sync In and Out connections, it seamlessly integrates with other Korg hardware including the Volca range, Minilogue/XD, Monologue and the Prologue.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re a hardware purist with an arsenal of analog synthesisers and drum machines or work exclusively with software plugins in your DAW - the SQ-64 can provide rapid, tactile control for all setups. With 64 stunning LED-lit step pads at your disposal, you can visualise entire sequences and instantly edit specific steps with the encoder knobs and dedicated mode buttons. The graduated lighting on each step lets you know how much modulation has been applied, with higher values having a stronger light.
The OLED display provides clear and distinct visual feedback at any angle, perfect for any stage or studio environment. Each Melody track boasts a Modulation output, which gives you the ability to apply complex modulations to your external sources. Your jams and ideas can then be saved for later recall using the 64 project slots.
A significant advantage of the SQ-64 is the option to play the pads like a keyboard, with numerous scales and configurations to fit your style, including Keys (traditional piano layout), Isomorphic (symmetrical rows of notes, chord patterns can be transposed without changing shape) and Octaves (one scale displayed in three different octaves per row).
The SQ-64’s performance modes make it an inspiring tool that can generate sounds from your gear that you may not have thought possible. There’s a powerful built-in arpeggiator, four spicy playback modes (reverse, bounce, random and stochastic) that can be spontaneously applied to individual tracks and the ability to chain and loop patterns to your heart’s content.
You might be fooled by the SQ-64’s compact form factor (it’s 18mm thick and 38mm counting the knobs and rubber legs) but it’s truly robust due to its aluminium body, it’ll withstand the rigours of gigs and performances for years to come. It can be powered via the USB port or an external 9V adaptor so you’ve got options when it comes to integrating it into your rig.
The icing on the cake is the free software bundle that Korg throws in with the SQ-64, which includes Ozone Elements from Izotope, Skoove, Reason Lite and a variety of softsynths from Korg and other brands.
- Four part Note, Mod, and CV/Gate Sequencer
- D Sub Part provides 8 parts of CV and 8 MIDI notes
- 3x Pitch, Gate, and Mod out
- Pitch, Gate, and Mod for each part A C
- MIDI I/O/O (2 dedicated outs) + Audio Sync I/O
- 64 LED backlit soft touch buttons
- Project Memory; save and recall all your sequences
- Keyboard mode play and record in real time
- Supports all standard voltages, and can be biased as well
- All aluminium chassis; solid desktop design
- Sequencer: 64 step sequencer with 3 melodic tracks with up to 8 note polyphony, and 16 monophonic rhythmic tracks
- Tempo: BPM 30.0 - 300.0
- MIDI IN connector (φ3.5mm stereo mini - phone jack, use a type-A MIDI converter cable)
- SYNC IN jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 20V maximum input level)
- MIDI OUT1, 2 connector (φ3.5mm stereo mini-phone jack, use a type-A MIDI converter cable)
- SYNC OUT jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum input level)
- CV GATE output A/B/C jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level)
- CV PITCH output A/B/C jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level)
- CV MOD output A/B/C jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level)
- TRIG output 1~8 jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level)
- USB bus power, or DC 9V AC Adapter ([-o +], separately sold)
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 368 Å~ 144 Å~ 74 mm / 14.49 Å~ 5.67 Å~ 2.91 inches
- Weight: 1.0 kg / 2.20 lbs
- Included items: Owner’s Manual, USB cable
- Accessories (separately sold): KA350 AC Adaptor, Patch cables MS-CABLE-18
No upgrades available