Martin D-35 David Gilmour 12 String Custom Signature Edition
Overview by GAK
Inspired by the David Gilmour’s go-to 12-string for over four decades, this limited-edition evokes the timeless sound that featured so prominently on classic records such as Wish You Were Here. These D-35 models are unique, boasting customisations and materials that were specified by the man himself. The entire range is limited to only 250 pieces and are sure to become a sought-after collector’s item. A six-string version is also available.
Created in collaboration with the lauded Martin Guitars and music legend David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd and solo fame), this 12 string D-35 was designed to be a more than worthy successor to David’s favoured D12-28, which sold for a significant amount at an auction in 2019. This limited-run of DG signature D-45 are the first of their kind, as they are constructed from Martin’s supply of rare sinker mahogany. This wood is prized for its beautiful grain, beautiful harmonic balance and warm sustain.
What makes sinker mahogany superior?
Unlike modern timber, which is comparatively immature when logged and is imbued with far less natural minerals, sinker mahogany is akin to the wood found in Pre-War Martin instruments. It’s had plenty of time to season, resulting in a magical tone that needs to be experienced to be believed.
Ecologically recovered from the bottom of a river in Belize, this mahogany is the same species that was used by Martin in their 1930s models and is hundreds of years old. Martin have foregone artificial treatment of this wood and, due to its highly limited quantities, all sinker mahogany guitars are hand-built by their master craftsman.
Together with the Carpathian Spruce top, antique white binding and vintage gloss finish, these signature D-35s look and sound like they were constructed during Martin’s Golden Age. David Gilmour puts his own subtle imprint on this guitar’s aesthetic, incorporating DG’s inlay dot pattern and a special head-stamp on the rear of the headstock.
Whilst the David Gilmour D-35 12-string is sure to become a treasured collector’s item, it’s first and foremost a masterfully built instrument that’ll provide you with inspiration for years to come.
Overview by Martin
For over forty years his Martin D12-28 12-string was a constant in David Gilmour’s recording & songwriting palette. When this guitar went to auction in 2019 we were delighted to be able to work with him to create a 12 string for his music today. These signature models are the first D-35s ever made with neck, back and sides of sinker mahogany, chosen by David for its warm, rich tones and exquisitely beautiful grain. A Carpathian Spruce top delivers unparalleled 12 string tone with our vintage gloss finish and antique white binding providing classic ‘Golden Era’ Martin style. A special David Gilmour headstamp features on the reverse of the headstock. The signature models are limited to 250 pieces and every label is hand-signed by David himself, ensuring this guitar’s place on every collector’s wish list. Through this partnership, Martin Guitar is proud to support the David Gilmour Charitable Foundation.
- Edition Size: 50
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top Material: Carpathian Spruce
- Rosette: Style 28 Multi-Stripe
- Bracing Pattern: X Brace
- Brace Shape: Non-Scalloped
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Size: 5/16"
- Back Material: Sinker Mahogany
- Back Detail: 3 Piece
- Back Purfling/Strip: Zig-Zag
- Side Material: Sinker Mahogany
- Endpiece: Antique White
- Binding: Antique White
- Top Inlay Material: Bold Herringbone
- Neck Material: Sinker Mahogany
- Neck Shape: 12 String
- Neck Taper: High Performance Taper
- Plek: Yes
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock Shape: Solid with 12 String Taper and Diamond
- Headplate Material: Madagascar Rosewood
- Headplate Logo Style: Script Old Style Overlay
- Heelcap: Antique White
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Scale Length: 24.9"
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 13/16"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/4"
- Fingerboard Inlay Material: Abalone
- Fingerboard Inlay Style: David Gilmour Dot Pattern
- Side Dots: Yellow
- Back and Side Finish: Vintage Gloss
- Back and Sides Color: Dark Mahogany
- Finish Top: Vintage Gloss
- Top Color: Antique Toner
- Finish Neck: Vintage Gloss
- Neck Color: Dark Mahogany
- Bridge Material: Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly- 12 String- Drop in Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 5/16"
- Saddle: Compensated Bone
- Saddle: Radius 16"
- Tuning Machines: Chrome Enclosed Gear
- Recommended Strings: Authentic Acoustic Extra Light 12 String (SMA500T)
- Bridge Pin Material: Black Plastic
- Pickguard: Tortoise Pattern
- Case: Moulded Hardshell
- Label: Paper Label signed by David Gilmour
- Electronics: None
- Left Handed Availability: Yes
No upgrades available