Neumann TLM 107 bk Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone, Black
Neumann TLM 107 bk Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic, Black
Our new state of the art microphone: extremely versatile and surprisingly affordable!
THE MODERN STUDIO WORKHORSE
The TLM 107 is a reference class microphone for vocals and instruments with breathtaking realism. Five polar patterns plus variable pad and low cut settings make the TLM 107 exceptionally flexible. And with a dynamic range of 131 dB the TLM 107 captures anything from a slight whisper to massive drums without unwanted noise or distortion.
21ST CENTURY MICROPHONE
The TLM 107 offers true high definition sound quality at an affordable price. Neumann developed this microphone for project and home studio users who prefer to capture an uncolored sound image, true to the original source, in order to retain all options for post processing and mixing. The TLM 107, in turn, offers all the flexibility required to make a high quality recording of any source in any situation.
Neumann decided to give the TLM 107 a modern look, although the large tapered headgrille does echo the iconic design of such Neumann classics as the M 49 tube microphone. The stylish navigation toggle on the back of the microphone is a joy to use as it controls all settings in one place: pad (0/–6 /–12 dB), low cut (lin/40 Hz/100 Hz) and polar patterns (omni/wide cardioid/-cardioid/¬hyper¬cardioid/¬figure-8).
The newly developed dual diaphragm condenser capsule is specially designed for the TLM 107 to offer outstanding transient response and an extended, carefully balanced frequency response for all polar patterns. This means, you can adjust the directional pattern according to the recording situation without affecting the overall sound balance. Which is quite extraordinary for a large diaphragm microphone! And, needless to say, the TLM 107 offers true Neumann quality in any setting.
As a member of our TLM series, the TLM 107 operates with a transformerless circuit ensuring an open, transparent sound and a full, unrestricted bass transmission, even at highest levels. Two low cut settings are available to reduce rumble and compensate for the proximity effect in close miking situations. Even without engaging the two pad settings, the TLM 107 can handle enormous sound pressure levels of up to 141 dB without clipping (up to 153 dB with preattenuation). The TLM 107 has a self-noise of only 10 dB-A, which is much lower than the ambient noise in a very quiet recording studio. In other words, the TLM 107 will add neither noise nor unwanted distortion to your recordings.
The TLM 107 is primarily designed for small studios but due to its no-compromise sound quality can also be used for high-end professional applications including broadcast and classical recordings. Not only is the TLM 107 an extremely versatile workhorse microphone for a wide range of instruments, such as acoustic and electric guitar, piano, upright bass, drums and percussion; it is also an outstanding vocal microphone.
- Neumann Engineering - The newly developed sound transducer, which was designed especially for this microphone, is impressive with its outstanding impulse fidelity. The great consistency of the five polar patterns, omnidirectional, cardioid and figure-8, with the intermediate patterns wide-angle cardioid and hypercardioid, is also unusual for a large-diaphragm capsule. The TLM 107 provides optimal sound not only for the cardioid setting; it also ensures maximum precision over the entire frequency range for all of the other directional characteristics. The sound always remains balanced, with an almost linear reproduction up to 8 kHz, and a slight boost in the highest frequencies that lends presence and freshness to the voice. Here particular attention has been paid to the natural reproduction of speech sounds, especially the critical "s" sound. The grille is acoustically optimized for low sensitivity to pop sounds. In addition, the sound transducer is edge-terminated, with both diaphragms at ground voltage. Specifically, this ensures considerably reduced sensitivity to dust and humidity.
- No-Compromise Sound Design - Transformerless circuitry permits a high degree of linearity and a large dynamic range. The self-noise of only 10 dB-A is practically inaudible, while at the same time, the TLM 107 features high level stability. The maximum sound pressure level of 141 dB SPL can be increased to 153 dB SPL via pre-attenuation (Pad). This enables the TLM 107 to transmit the sound of even the loudest instruments without distortion. The Low Cut settings of Linear, 40 Hz, and 100 Hz are precisely adapted to practical recording situations. Without side effects, the 40 Hz setting cuts interference noise below the range of fundamental tones (where 41 Hz is the frequency of the double bass open E string), while the 100 Hz setting is optimized for speech and vocals (where 100 Hz corresponds to the lowest notes of a baritone).
- Innovative Operating Concept - For the first time, all of the microphone switch functions are controlled intuitively via a navigation switch. A visual highlight is the illuminated pattern display in the chrome ring, while the Pad and Low Cut status is displayed by LEDs to the left and right of the switch. In order not to distract singers, the switch and display are located on the back of the microphone. After 15 seconds, the displays are turned off automatically.
- Delivery Package - The TLM 107 is available in the colors matte nickel and black. A stand mount (SG 2) is included.
- Acoustical operating principle - Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern - Omnidirectional, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8
- Frequency range - 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm - 11 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance - 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance - 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1) - 22 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1) - 10 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL) - 72 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL) - 84 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2) - 141 dB
- with preattenuation -6 dB - 147 dB
- with preattenuation -12 dB - 153 dB
- Max. output voltage for THD < 0.5 % - 10 dBu
- Power Supply (IEC 61938) - P48
- Current consumption - 3.2 mA
- Required connector - XLR 3 F
- Weight - 445 g
- Diameter - 64 mm
- Length - 145 mm