Boss AD-2 Acoustic Preamp Pedal
Boss Product Overview
With the AD-2 Acoustic Preamp, acoustic-electric guitarists can now experience natural, studio-quality sound while performing on any stage. Equipped with an advanced BOSS sound engine, this compact pedal packs sophisticated processing power that belies its small size and simple, intuitive interface. Acoustic Resonance reproduces the complex resonance characteristics of your unplugged tone, while Ambience provides pro-level reverberation perfectly optimised for acoustic guitar. The AD-2 also features essential stage tools such as a notch filter for feedback control, a balanced DI out for direct connection to a PA, and a convenient mute function for tuning and switching guitars.
The tone of an acoustic guitar is created by the complex interaction of sounds from its body, top, strings, and other elements. And as you play with varying techniques, dynamics, and more, this interaction constantly evolves to create the rich, woody sound we love. Unfortunately, the standard under saddle piezo pickups installed on most stage guitars simply can’t reproduce this resonant complexity. The AD-2’s Acoustic Resonance effect solves this issue by analysing the input signal as you play, and then employing advanced processing to beautifully recreate your guitar’s naturally evolving tone. Twisting the one-knob control adjusts multiple parameters inside the AD-2 to achieve the perfect tonal balance for any style, from delicate fingerpicking to intense strumming.
After using Acoustic Resonance to bring back your guitar’s natural, intimate tone, adding some further depth and dimension with a little reverb makes it that much better. With the AD-2’s Ambience effect, you can dial in studio-quality reverb for any performing environment. Unlike standard reverbs that can cloud an acoustic guitar’s sound, the optimised BOSS algorithms in the AD-2 produce lush, deep ambience that perfectly complements your instrument’s voice. Like the Acoustic Resonance effect, a simple one-knob control tweaks many interlocked parameters under the hood, giving you access to a wide range of detailed reverb sounds.
The AD-2 features two independent outputs for performance flexibility. Connect the Output jack to your acoustic guitar amp or stage monitor, and use the Line Out to send a balanced signal direct to the PA mixer. It’s even possible to turn off the Ambience effect in the Line Out signal, giving the PA engineer the flexibility to add their own reverb at the board. And if you encounter any low-frequency feedback issues on stage, the AD-2’s notch filter has you covered. As soon as you hear that familiar rumble, just turn the Notch knob until it goes away. It's that easy!
*Boss PSA series power adaptor sold separately. You can purchase by clicking here.
- Acoustic-electric guitar preamp with advanced BOSS sound processing
- Sophisticated under-the-hood processing with multiple interlocked parameters, accessible with simple stompbox controls
- Acoustic Resonance reproduces the complex resonance characteristics of an unplugged acoustic
- Ambience knob provides wide-ranging, studio-quality reverb optimized for acoustic guitar
- Normal output for an acoustic guitar amp and balanced DI output for direct PA connection
- Notch filter for instant feedback reduction
- Sound mute function for switching guitars and tuning on stage
- BOSS five-year warranty
- Nominal Input Level:
- - -20 dBu
- Input Impedance:
- - 10 M ohms
- Nominal Output Level:
- - OUTPUT jack: -20 dBu
- - LINE OUT jack: -20 dBuOutput ImpedanceOUTPUT jack: 1 k ohm
- - LINE OUT jack: 600 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance:
- - OUTPUT jack: 10 k ohms or greater
- - LINE OUT jack: 600 ohms or greater
- - Buffered bypass
- - Pedal switch
- - COUSTIC RESONANCE knob
- - AMBIENCE knob
- - NOTCH knob
- - CHECK indicator (Serves also as battery check indicator)
- - INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - OUTPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - LINE OUT jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- - DC IN jack
- Power Supply:
- - Alkaline battery (9V, 6LR61) or Carbon-zinc battery (9V, 6F22)
- - AC adaptor (sold separately)
- Current Draw:
- - 55 mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use:
- - Alkaline: Approx. 6 hours
- * These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- - Owner's manual
- - Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTES," and "Information")
- - Alkaline battery (9V, 6LR61)
- Option (sold separately):
- - AC adaptor (PSA series)
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- - Width 73mm, 2-7/8 inches
- - Depth 129mm, 5-1/8 inches
- - Height 59mm, 2-3/8 inches
- - Weight (including battery) 450g, 1lb
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
It certainly does deliver the acoustic quality of my guitar via my Roland CUBE EX amp. Haven’t had feedback issues playing the rig at home so it hasn’t been necessary to dial up the feedback knob as yet , but reasonably confident it will work OK should such issues occur when gigging. Bought because of its ease of use (less to go wrong at a gig) and it’s 6 hour battery life also making it viable for busking. Very pleased with it and more than aware that there will be a vast range of tweaks to achieve a really comprehensive range of sound effects when used in conjunction with the amp’s different guitar effect settings.
Another good buy from Boss