Novation Circuit Rhythm Sampler and Sequencer
Novation Circuit Rhythm Sampler and Sequencer
Overview by GAK
The Novation Circuit Rhythm is a fully-featured and flexible standalone sampler in a truly portable package. Within Novation’s Circuit Rhythm is everything you need to create and perform exciting beats, including direct sample recording, powerful sample editing, up to 8 sample tracks and onboard performance effects.
A key part of what makes the Novation Circuit Rhythm special is its sampling and editing capabilities. When deciding which samples to use, you can seamlessly import them into the Circuit Rhythm and record samples directly into the device.
Once you’ve selected your samples, sculpting, slicing and resampling them is a breeze thanks to Circuit Rhythm’s onboard sample editing tools. You can select from a variety of classic playback modes such as reverse, loop and slice as well as map samples chromatically - perfect for when you want to sample an instrument or a voice.
Whether you’re sampling a drum break from an obscure vinyl record, mapping a singer’s voice, creating kits from unorthodox percussion, capturing a vintage synth - whatever you can dream of, the Circuit Rhythm is ready to transform it.
Effortless Beatmaking Workflow
When it’s time to start turning your samples into complete beats and grooves, the Circuit Rhythm provides you with a powerful hands-on sequencer. Layers of samples can be built up across 8 tracks and each individual track contains 8 32-step patterns, which can be chained for up to 256 steps per track.
Grooves that you play in can either be quantised or captured off-grid by the sequencer, which is essential for creating laidback Hip-Hop beats and Trap hi-hats. Probability (each step/note can be assigned a chance of 12.5% - 100% to be played) and Pattern Mutate (shuffles the pattern’s steps and their parameters) are on hand to add dynamic variation to your music.
With its array of tactile controls, which includes 32 velocity-sensitive RGB backlit pads, 28 RGB backlit buttons, 8 robust endless encoders and a Master Filter knob, creating and performing with the Circuit Rhythm is fun and immediate.
Invigorate your live set with performance FX: embrace imperfection with lo-fi tape, stutter your mix with beat repeat, and more.
Novation has equipped the Circuit Rhythm with a variety of onboard effects. In addition to spatial effects such as lush reverb, rhythmic delays, pumping sidechain and punchy master compression, the Circuit Rhythm also features exciting Grid FX.
The Grid FX, which includes an authentic-sounding lo-fi tape emulation, stutter & beat repeat, is a great way to invigorate your performances and add on-the-fly character shifts to your music.
Expand Your Creativity
When used alongside a microSD card, you can greatly expand Circuit Rhythm’s storage. Once your microSD card is connected, you can save & have access to thousands of projects & samples.
Organising, importing and backing up your projects & samples couldn’t be easier, thanks to Novation’s free Components software. Components can either be used online with a MIDI-enabled browser such as Opera or Chrome as well as Standalone on PC or Mac.
The Circuit Rhythm, with its compact form factor and built-in rechargeable battery, is one of the best portable beat-making companions out there. With up to 4 hours of battery life, you can pick up the Circuit Rhythm and start creating as soon as inspiration strikes.
Circuit Rhythm’s comprehensive connectivity includes full-size five-pin MIDI in, out, and thru, and analogue sync out, making it the perfect sampler partner to any studio rig. The built-in rechargeable battery provides up to four hours of battery life, so you can make beats on the move, and Novation Components provides a platform to load samples and backup your work.
With its comprehensive selection of connectivity, the Circuit Rhythm is primed to become the nerve centre of your studio or performance setup.
There’s a USB-C socket for USB MIDI, full-size 5-pin MIDI In, Out & Thru, a 3.5mm analogue clock sync output, stereo outputs, a 3.5mm headphone output for quiet jamming and stereo input for recording in new samples.
We recommend checking out the Circuit Tracks, as it can work as both a top-notch companion to the Rhythm as well as an alternative if you prefer to work with onboard synth engines, drums and MIDI sequencing for external gear.
Make sure to register your Circuit Rhythm and become part of Novation’s Sound Collective. It’s a massive perk of being a Novation user, as you can receive free plugins from leading developers as well as deep discounts every few months.
Novation is one of the best companies out there when it comes to updates and the Circuit Rhythm is bound to be given the same treatment of fresh features and new capabilities down the line.
The Circuit Rhythm is another triumph from Novation and is a must-try if samples are a crucial part of your production workflow or if you want an intuitive way to explore the universe of sampling. The flexibility, portability and inspiring features that the Circuit Rhythm delivers for the price make it one of our favourite Novation releases so far!
- Sample and resample: Record samples directly to the hardware, then slice, sculpt and resample your sounds effortlessly.
- Slice, reverse, loop, play chromatically, and more: Playback samples however you choose, whether you’re chopping straight from vinyl, making basslines and melodies, or punching in drums.
- Perform with grid FX: Invigorate your live set with performance FX: embrace imperfection with lo-fi tape, stutter your mix with beat repeat, and more.
- Eight Sample tracks: Make beats with eight sample tracks, each with their own 32-step patterns, chainable for up to 256 steps per track.
- Seamless beatmaking workflow: Go from a sample to a complete beat with ease using the powerful and hands-on sequencer.
- Go off grid: Capture your groove quantised or off-grid into the sequencer, and keep your beats evolving with probability and pattern mutate.
- FX on everything: Douse samples in lush reverb and delay, make your mix pump with sidechain, and punch with the master compressor.
- Comprehensive connectivity: Connect to your studio with full-size five-pin MIDI in, out, and thru, and analogue sync out. Sample through stereo inputs, and listen through stereo out or with headphones.
- Never stop creating: Insert a microSD card to save and access thousands of samples and projects.
- Create anywhere: The built-in rechargeable battery provides up to four hours of battery life, so you can make beats on the move.
- Go further with Components: Novation Components is the online companion that lets you load samples and backup your work.
- Sound Collective: Register your Circuit Rhythm today to get access to free plugins and content with Novation Sound Collective.
- 32 RGB Backlit Velocity Sensitive Pads
- 28 RGB Backlit Tactile Click Buttons
- Power button with charge status LED
- USB-C Socket
- Kensington MiniSaver Slot
- 3x MIDI DIN (In, Out, Thru)
- MicroSD card slot
- 3.5mm Sync Out
- Stereo Audio In (Mono Summed)
- Unbalanced Stereo Out
- Headphones out
- 8x Endless Encoder Macro Knobs with RGB indicators
- Volume Knob
- Master Filter Knob with centre detent
- Weight: 0.78kg
- Dimensions (Hx W x D): 45 x 240 x 210 mm
- Wherever you happen to be in the world, you can rely on a three-year warranty if any Novation hardware needs repairing or replacing due to a manufacturing fault.
- Novation Components Standalone software.
- Sound Collective – Bringing Novation hardware owners a new free plug-in every couple of months.
- Circuit Rhythm
- USB-A to USB-C Cable (1.5m)
- USB Power Adaptor
- Safety information sheet
No upgrades available