Boss CH-1 Super Chorus Pedal
The Boss CH-1 Super Chorus is a great all-purpose chorus pedal thanks to it super clean and clear tone and wide frequency range. Over the years Boss have made many different chorus effects, but the CH-1 is the most long-standing, having remained in constant production since its introduction back in ’89.
Compared to Boss’ more famous Chorus Ensemble pedals - with the CE-5 and CE-2w being the current models - the CH-1 has a completely different character. Where the CE-5 and CE-2w are perhaps at their best when used to create swirly thickness in your tone, the CH-1 gives you an edgier effect that’s great for lead work. And the CH-1 has found legions of devotees for this very reason, with the amazing Joe Satriani included in the worldwide army of CH-1 fans.
The CH-1 Super Chorus also has a wider frequency range when compared to its Boss Chorus Ensemble stablemates, and a simpler EQ section when compared to the BOSS CE-5. This single EQ control is essentially an overall chorus effect tone control that dials back the CH-1’s edgy nature.
Like the whole Boss range the CH-1 features buffered bypass, which means you avoid signal loss over long cable runs and get click and pop free on/off switching.
GAK’s Boss CH-1 Super Chorus FAQs:
Q1: Is the CH-1 true bypass?
A: No. Although there's a lot of true bypass hype these days, neither true nor buffered bypass are objectively better than one another. On account of a buffer’s ability to drive long cable runs and provide silent switching Boss remain resolutely in the buffered camp.
Q2: What’s the difference between the CH-1 and the CE-5/CE-2w/CE-? and which is best for me?
A: Whilst Boss have produced many different chorus pedals over the years, the CH-1 is something of a standalone pedal in their chorus range. Direct comparisons depend on the exact pedal in question, but in general the CH-1 has an edgier, cleaner tone with a wider frequency range that could perhaps be described as ‘more hi-fi’. In general we recommend the CH-1 for players looking for an all-purpose chorus that can be used subtly to thicken things up, or more aggressively to add a modern shimmer to both clean and driven tones. We recommend the CE-5 and CE-2w to players looking to add that classic Boss chorus swirl.
Q3: Why does the CH-1 have two outputs and how do I use them?
A: The CH-1 has dual outputs so this pedal can be used in stereo. While it sounds great in mono (Output A alone), plugging Output B into a second amp increases the depth of the effect and vastly increases the breadth of your guitar tone. Although we admit that carrying two amps to gigs is pretty impractical, we definitely recommend trying this out for yourself!
Q4: Is this pedal Made in Japan (MIJ)?
A: No. Although Japanese made Boss pedals are much lusted after, the CH-1 was introduced after production moved to Taiwan. The current range of Boss pedals retains the quality of the earlier Japanese Production, but at much more competitive pricing than Japanese production would allow. As long as the pedal's registered after purchase Boss provide a full five-year warranty for all compact pedals and Boss pedals are generally regarded as the most reliable pedals available.
Q5: Is this an analogue chorus pedal?
A: Since October 2001 all CH-1s produced have been digital. Amongst a wealth of reasons Boss made this change principally for reliability and consistency
*Boss PSA series power adaptor sold separately. You can purchase by clicking here.
- Classic BOSS chorus pedal with clean, brilliant sound for guitar and keyboards
- Effect Level, EQ, Rate and Depth knobs allow for precise shaping of sound
- Features Mono input and Stereo outputs for connection to dual amps
- BOSS five-year warranty
- Nominal Input Level:
- - -20 dBu
- Input Impedance:
- - 1M ohm
- Nominal Output Level:
- - -20 dBu
- Output Impedance:
- - 1k ohm
- Recommended Load Impedance:
- - 10 k ohms or greater
- - Buffered bypass
- - DEPTH knob
- - RATE knob
- - EQ knob
- - E.LEVEL knob
- - Pedal switch
- - CHECK indicator (Used for indication of check battery)
- - INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - OUTPUT A/B jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - DC IN jack
- Power Supply:
- - Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22) or Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61)
- - AC adaptor (PSA series: sold separately)
- Current Draw:
- - 25 mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use:
- - Carbon: Approx. 11.5 hours
- - Alkaline: Approx. 26.0 hours
- *These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- - Owner's manual
- - Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTES," and "Information")
- - Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22)
- Options (sold separately):
- - AC adaptor: PSA series
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- - Width 73mm, 2-7/8 inches
- - Depth 129mm, 5-1/8 inches
- - Height 59mm, 2-3/8 inches
- - Weight (including battery) 400g, 15oz
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- * The specifications are subject to change without notice.