Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1964 SG Standard w/ Maestro, Ultra Light Aged, Pelham Blue
The 1964 SG Standard has been used by many famous musicians including George Harrison and Eric Clapton, and 1964 was an important year for the SG as this is when the side-pull vibrato was replaced with the Maestro Vibrola which is more reliable, as well as the neck profile being increased to something similar to that of a 1959 Les Paul.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
The 1964 SG Standard has a solid mahogany body and neck which provides great resonance and sustain, and the neck has an authentic ‘64 Medium C-shape profile with a 24.75” scale length, topped with an Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 authentic medium jumbo-sized frets. There is also an ABR-1 bridge with a Maestro Vibrola.
For pickups, it has a pair of unpotted Custombuckers with Alnico 3 magnets, which deliver a clear, articulate sound without sounding harsh, and smooth, rounded tones - recreating the classic sound of PAF pickups from the past. and there’s a 3-way Switchcraft pickup selector as well as 2 volume and 2 tone control knobs so you can find the exact sound you need.
The 1964 SG Standard is completed with cellulose nitrate trapezoid inlays, Murphy Lab Light Aged hardware, a black multi-ply pickguard, black ‘top hat’ control knobs with silver inserts and a cool Pelham Blue finish.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch case and a Certificate of Authenticity.
The Choice of Legends
Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson’s legacy through accuracy, authenticity and attention to detail.
Regardless of the fact that George Harrison and Eric Clapton rocked a '64 SG™ Standard, that model year was clearly a standout for SGs in general. The clunky side-pull vibrato had been replaced by the dependable Maestro™ Vibrola. The neck profiles had increased in size, resembling the profile found on 1959 Les Pauls™. And the balance, playability and look of the SG seemed to come into its own. For all those reasons, the Gibson Custom Shop is proud to present the 1964 SG Standard Reissue. Along with the Maestro Vibrola and chunky neck profile, it has all the hyper-accurate vintage specs one could possibly want – original construction methods, chemically-recreated plastics, replica electronics, and more. The result is perhaps the best looking, feeling and sounding SG Reissue yet. It also features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: SG
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Lightweight Mahogany
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '64 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Maestro Vibrola
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Single Line, Double Ring
- Pickguard: Black Multi-Ply
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Switchwasher: Silkscreened Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Control Covers: Black
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Mounting Rings: M69 Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Black Beauty Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch
- Certificate of Authenticity
No upgrades available