Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1958 Les Paul Standard, Light Aged, Lemon Burst
The Les Paul Standards made by Gibson between 1958 and 1960 are some of the most coveted guitars in the world, also known as ‘Bursts’. This period was considered the peak of electric guitar manufacturing and it’s estimated only around 1700 of these models exist today, making them particularly pricey if you want to get your hands on an original.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
The 1958 Les Paul Standard has a lightweight mahogany body and a 2-piece plain maple top, a classic tonewood combination providing great resonance. It has a solid mahogany neck with a comfortable Chunky C-Shape profile and a smooth Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 Historic Gibson Narrow/Tall frets for historical accuracy. The ABR-1 bridge and lightweight aluminium stop bar provide a vintage look and tuning stability.
For pickups, it has a pair of unpotted Custombuckers with Alnico 3 magnets, which deliver a clear, articulate sound without sounding harsh, and smooth, rounded tones - recreating the PAF pickups from the past. It also has a 3-way Switchcraft pickup selector and 2 volume and 2 tone controls, giving you full control over your sound.
The 1958 Les Paul Standard is completed with 1-ply Royalite binding, nickel Murphy Lab Light Aged hardware, and a Lemon Burst finish with nitrocellulose lacquer for extra authenticity.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a brown/pink Lifton reissue 5-latch case, a certificate of authenticity, a mounted Custom Shop switchplate medallion and a reissue switch backplate in the case.
Weight - 8.54lbs
The Beginning of the Burst
Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson’s legacy through accuracy, authenticity and attention to detail.
The 1958 Les Paul™ Standard Reissue features all the painstaking historic construction methods of the famous '59 Reissues with a few historically-accurate spec differences that allow it to stand on its own. Like the 1958 originals, it has narrow frets which help more of the fingerboard wood to be heard in the tone profile. It also has a round, chunky neck profile for a full feel and maximum bending leverage. And finally it has a beautiful plain maple top; each is unique and full of character. It features Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of natural play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: Les Paul
- Top: 2-Piece Plain Maple, Hide Glue Fit
- Back: 1-Piece Lightweight Mahogany
- Binding: 1-Ply Royalite
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Chunky C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Historic Gibson Narrow/Tall
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Aged Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stop Bar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Single Line, Single Ring
- Pickguard: Laminated Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Butyrate Gold Top Hats
- Switch Tip: Amber Catalin
- Switchwasher: Silkscreened Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Jack Plate Cover: Laminated Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Control Covers: Black Royalite
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Mounting Rings: M69 Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch Case
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity, Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion; Reissue Switch Backplate in Case
Gibson have hit it out of the park with these guitars