Korg Volca FM-2 Digital FM Synthesizer
Korg Volca FM-2 Digital FM Synthesizer
With expanded 6-voice polyphony, 16-step loop sequencer, arpeggiator and built-in effects, the new Volca FM is a DX compatible 6-operator FM synth that is small enough to fit into even the most compact setups.
6-voice power with velocity sensitivity
With 6 voices, the Korg Volca FM makes it possible to play, sequence or arpeggiate complex chords to bring a unique flavour to your music production. The new Volca FM is even velocity sensitive via MIDI, which coupled with its 6-voice polyphony, provides an expressive and nuanced playing experience.
In addition to chorus, the new Volca FM includes a shimmering new reverb. This classic combination of effects can be adjusted individually to bring a finishing touch to both legendary and new FM sounds.
Easy sound creation
FM sound editing is accessible with Volca FM thanks to the modulator/carrier knobs – control movements are mapped to multiple parameters for sound changes that are easy to understand. FM enthusiasts can even dive into full parameter edits – Volca FM even comes with a Parameter List Guide to help.
Sequencing and connectivity
In addition to MIDI in, the new Volca FM includes a MIDI out via a TRS jack, making it possible to use the internal sequencer to control other devices through MIDI. With a 16-step looping sequencer, you can record performances directly as you play. Furthermore, 16 sequence patterns can be stored in the internal memory and pattern chain allows you to link multiple patterns together to create a song.
Expanding the creative possibilities further, Volca FM incorporates motion sequencing making it possible to capture subtle nuances of playing and control changes in real time. Not only is this a great way to polish and fine-tune loops, it also allows for dynamic and original live performances.
Program randomisation and performance functions
Alongside the highly acclaimed warp active step, pattern chain, and enhanced arpeggiator functions, the next generation of Volca FM includes a program randomiser – a perfect way to explore sonic possibilities and find inspiration. In addition to the active step function which lets you skip steps during a sequence, Volca FM provides new features to generate more complex rhythms.
If you’re working with fewer than 16 steps, the warp active step function compensates and occupies the same playback time as 16 steps; then by synchronizing the playback with another Volca models, you can deliberately skew the step timing to generate truly original performances. Volca FM even allows you to go beyond 16-step patterns. Join multiple sequence patterns for successive playback to construct large-scale developments of 32, 64, or even 256 steps!
Classic Sys-Ex compatibility
Volca FM perfectly reproduces the sound engine of DX7. Six operators and 32 algorithms provide complete compatibility, just load in the SYS-EX/SYX from DX7 and you are ready to go!
Powerful software included
The moment you receive Volca FM, you get access to a huge selection of free tools to help take your music to the next level. In collaboration with Oscillator Sink, users of either generation Volca FM can use the free Synthmata online editor to modify patches; no installation required! The Volca FM software bundle includes Izotope “Ozone Elements” for song creation and mastering with AI. “Skoove” helps improve your keyboard playing skills “Reason Lite” DAW software … and many more software synths from Korg and others.
Building on the enormous success of the original Volca FM, this updated model doubles the voices of its predecessor, adds additional effects, and offers MIDI velocity sensitivity with expanded connectivity.
- 6-voice polyphony with velocity sensitivity over MIDI
- Effects built-in, including chorus alongside a new reverb
- Easy FM sound creation with modulator/carrier knobs mapped to multiple parameters.
- Six operators and 32 algorithms provide complete compatibility with legacy DX SYS-EX/SYS
- 16-step looping sequencer with pattern linking and expanded internal memory
- Includes a huge bundle of free software for quick and easy music making
- Keyboard: Multi-touch 27 key keypad *velocity sensitive via MIDI
- Synth engine: FM
- Polyphony: 6
- Structure: 6 operators
- Number of programs: 64
- Parameters: Modulator (attack, decay), Carrier (attack, decay), LFO (rate, p.depth), Algorithm, Randomize (Editor mode allows changes to each parameter for each operator)
- Control: Transpose, velocity, octave, arp (type, div), chorus level, reverb level
- Arpeggiator types: 9 (rise, fall, random x 3)
- Voice modes: Poly, mono, unison
- Effects: Chorus, reverb
- Audio output: Headphone (3.5mm mini jack)
- Sync: Sync In (3.5mm mono mini jack, max input level: 20V) Sync out (3.5mm mono mini jack, output level: 5V)
- MIDI: In, Out (Requires optional Type-A 3.5mm stereo mini jack to MIDI din adaptor for each)
- DX compatibility: Can convert and load SYS-EX/SYX files created on DX7
- Battery life: Approx. 10 hours
- Power supply: AA alkaline battery x 6 or AA nickel-metal hydride battery x 6 AC adaptor (DC 9V) (optional)
- Dimensions: 193(W) x 115(D) x 40(H)mm (without knobs)
- Weight: 360g (without batteries)
- Included accessories: AA alkaline battery x 6, Sync Cable, Parameter List
- Optional accessories: KA-350 power adaptor