Roland TD-27 V-Drums Sound Module
Roland TD-27 V-Drums Sound Module
Ideal for drummers that want top spec pad performance, Roland’s flagship sound engine and advanced recording technologies.
Overview By GAK
The TD-27 is the second most advanced Drum Sound Module in the Roland V-Drums range. It builds on the features from the popular TD-17, and takes flagship features from the TD-50X. The TD-27 is the perfect option for drummers that demand more from an electronic drum kit, such as advance recording techniques, more realistic playing performance and larger pad sizes.
Inside the TD-27, you’ll find a whopping 728 individual drum sounds, which can stored across 45 User and 55 Preset Kit locations. The internal drum sounds cover everything from Acoustic Drum Kits, Electronic Drum Machine Samples, World Percussion sounds and much more.
Prismatic Sound Technology
The TD-27 Module is powered by Roland’s Prismatic Sound Engine, which is the same that features on the flagship TD-50X.
With Prismatic, each drum sample has been made up of the integral components of the Acoustic Instrument it is replicating. This means that the essential “acoustic” characteristics of each drum are not only heard, but also felt.
For example, a Snare Drum’s sound is made up of the size and depth of the drum shell, as well as what material it’s made from. Even the material and amount of strands in the Snare Wire will transform the tone of an Acoustic Snare Drum.
Prismatic ensures that all these aspects are included within the sample, as well as giving you the option to edit these individual components to ensure you have the perfect drum sound. You can select the shell material, shell size, tuning, muffling, snare wire and many more.
Prismatic goes further than that still, as the microphone used to record a drum, the environment the drum is placed in and even how much “bleed” you hear from the other drums in the same room are also included in the sound. It is this level of sonic detail that makes Roland V-Drums so realistic.
The TD-27 takes the editing capabilities found on the TD-17 and pushes it further with the addition of Shell Depth, Head Type and Snare Buzz. You’ll also find another sound engine at play, named PureACOUSTIC Ambience.
As well as the detail the Prismatic sound engine provides, all of the TD-27 kits can be customised further. The TD-27 Module includes an incredibly power inbuilt effects section and utilises PureACOUSTIC Ambience technology.
With PureACOUSTIC Ambience, you can place your kit in a perfectly modelled room/studio/gig environment. With the TD-27 you can place your drum kit in 20 different natural reverb settings; x4 Small Studio, x4 Large Studio, x4 Live House, x4 Stage or x4 Middle Hall.
In addition to what environment your drum kit is setup in, you can also choose which popular/iconic overhead mic model is capturing the sound of your drums. Choosing which overheads to use to pick up the sound of your drum kit is one of the most important decisions a sound engineer/producer will make, as these give your kit it’s sonic character.
Choose between Clear, Warm, Dry, Mild, Bright and “Other” microphone characteristics, meaning all the options are covered. You can even make your own customised overhead mic capsule, perfect for drums that want their own unique sound.
The huge detail in the editing capabilities of the TD-27 Module are astounding for the price. Not only do you have all the above options, you can explore creative sound options with the advanced effects section. Here you can find Compressors (Master/Per pad), EQs (Master/Per pad), Reverbs and Multi-Effects (with 3 systems and 30 types).
You can make fully mixed and mastered drum sounds, meaning you can always sound as professional as possible.
No More Messy Cables
Use the TD-27 Drum Sound Module to playalong to your favourite songs, without the use of cables. The TD-27 lets you stream music directly to the module from your favourite Smart Device via Bluetooth.
Once you have made a Bluetooth connection to your Smart Device, you can start playing along to your favourite artists as if you were in the band. This is a great tool for live use, as you can run your backing tracks through the module wirelessly, saving on channels on the PA Mixer.
To add to the sound capabilities of the TD-27, you can use Bluetooth to wireless capture samples. Plug in an SD (sold separately) and you can store your own drum samples and assign them to the pads of your V-Drums kit.
To further save on cables, the TD-27 Module can stream 28 channels of audio via USB. You can record as if you had a multi-mic drum kit, in your chosen studio environment and tuned to perfection with just a USB cable (sold separately). If you are looking for individual outputs in a live scenario, the module has 4 assignable jack outputs, giving more options to the sound engineer at gigs.
Connect your TD-27 via USB to a computer also establishes a MIDI connection. This unlocks all the sounds you may have on a DAW, as the TD-27 will then become a MIDI controller. You can also use MIDI to sync with numerous apps, such as Melodics, Recording Softwares and the majority of MIDI-capable apps on iOS or Android.
The TD-27 has the same latency as the flagship Roland TD-50X, at just 2.6ms - the lowest of any electronic kit.
Your Own Tutor In a Box
The TD-27 can be your own drum tutor, as it has 3 different coaching lessons and a built-in metronome; Perfect to keep on top of your practice, push your drumming and track your progress.
If you would like to jam along with other musicians, check out the Roland Drum Monitor range.
Compatible With USB Digital Pads
The Roland TD-27 is the first module in the Roland V-Drums range that is compatible with their digital USB connected pads (sold separately). By connecting via USB. Roland Digital Pads are able to transmit 10 times the information as the analogue jack pad versions.
Roland’s USB Pads also feature Electro-Static sensors, the same technology found in smart device touchscreens. The TD-27 Module and USB pads work together to allowing you to choke, rim shot and cross-stick the same way you would on an acoustic drum kit - no more menu diving!
The TD-27 Module can cater for users that wish to expand their drum set up beyond the kit configurations offered by Roland. There are three additional stereo jack Pad Inputs for adding to your setup.
You can use the x3 Auxiliary Trigger Inputs to add Drum Pads with Head & Rim assignability or Cymbal Pads with Bow & Edge. You can even split the Aux Trig Inputs to connect two mono triggers with a Stereo Jack to Dual Jack Y-Cable to achieve 6 additional mono pads.
Kits Powered By The TD-27 V-Drums Sound Module
- VAD506 - A 5-piece V-Drums kit in the VAD Series with x2 Crash Cymbals.
- VAD503 - A 4-piece V-Drums kit in the VAD Series with one Crash Cymbal.
- TD-27KV - The first V-Drums Kit in the TD-Series range to feature Roland Digital Pads.
- TD-27K - The most compact TD-27 configuration.
Please note, this is for the module only
- Advanced sound module with Prismatic Sound Modeling derived from the flagship TD-50
- Three digital trigger inputs for advanced Roland trigger pads like the 14” PD-140DS digital snare and 18” CY-18DR digital ride cymbal
- Hands-on interface for quick-and-easy selecting and personalizing drum sounds
- Drum in inspiring sound spaces with newly developed PureAcoustic Ambience Technology
- Overhead mic simulator and studio-level effects for processing drum sounds
- Import your own WAV samples via an SD card
- Stereo mix output and two assignable outputs for sending individual drum sounds to a PA mixer
- Integrated 28-channel USB audio interface for professional computer music production
- Multi-pin trigger jack and included cable for connecting with a standard V-Drums pad setup
- Dedicated Crash 2 trigger input and three auxiliary trigger inputs for easy kit expansion
- Onboard Bluetooth for drumming with music from a smartphone or laptop
- Built-in practice functions for developing drumming skills
- Drum kits - 100 (Preset: 55)
- Instruments- 728
- User Sample Import
- - Number of User Sample: Maximum 500 (includes factory preloaded user samples)
- - Sound Length (total): 24 minutes in mono, 12 minutes in stereo
- - File formats that can be loaded: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16/24 bits)
- Effect Types
- - Pad Compressor: each pad
- - Pad Equalizer: each pad
- - Overhead Mic Simulator
- - Room/Reverb
- - Multi-Effects: 3 systems, 30 types
- - Master Compressor
- - Master Equalizer
- - Supported standards: Bluetooth Ver 4.2
- - Supported profile: A2DP (Audio), GATT (MIDI over Bluetooth Low Energy)
- - Codec: SBC (Support to the content protection of the SCMS-T method)
- Song Player (SD Card) - File format: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16/24 bits), MP3 *1
- - Recording Method: Realtime
- - Maximum length: 60 min (temporary recording: 3 min) *2
- - File format: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bits)
- Display - Graphic LCD 256 x 80 dots
- External Memory - SD Card (SDHC supported)
- - TRIGGER INPUT connector x 1: DB-25 type (Kick, Snare, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3, Hi-hat, Crash1, Ride, Ride Bell, Hi-Hat Control) *3
- - TRIGGER IN jack x 4: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (CRASH 2, AUX1, AUX2, AUX3) *3
- - DIGITAL TRIGGER IN port x 3: USB A type
- - MASTER OUT jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch phone type
- - DIRECT OUT jack x 2 (MONO): 1/4-inch phone type
- - PHONES jack x 1: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - MIX IN jack x 1: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - MIDI (IN, OUT/THRU) connectors
- - USB COMPUTER port x 1: USB B type
- - FOOT SW jack x 1: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- - DC IN jack
- USB COMPUTER
- - Speed: Hi-speed USB
- - Driver mode: Generic, Vender
- - Protocol: USB MIDI, USB Audio *4
- USB Audio
- - Sampling Rate (original): 44.1 kHz
- - Sampling Rate (with sampling rate converter): 96 kHz, 48 kHz
- - Record: 28 channels
- - Playback: 4 channels
- Power Supply
- - AC adaptor (DC 9 V)
- - Current Draw - 770 mA
- - Quick Start
- - AC adaptor (PSB-1U)
- - Special connection cable
- - Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- - Sound module mounting plate
- - Wing bolt (M5 x 10) x 2
- Options (sold separately)
- - Pads: PD series, PDX series, BT series
- - Cymbals: CY series
- - Kick: KD series, KT series
- - Hi-hat: VH-13, VH-11, VH-10
- - Hi-hat control pedal: FD series
- - Acoustic drum trigger: RT series
- - Footswitch: BOSS FS-5U, FS-6
- - Personal drum monitor: PM series
- - Noise eater: NE series
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- - 238 (W) x 204 (D) x 79 (H) mm
- - 9-3/8 (W) x 8-1/16 (D) x 3-1/8 (H) inches
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor) - 1.1 kg, 2 lbs 7 oz
- *1 Audio files must be saved on an SD card.
- *2 Song recording is required SD card. The case of no inserted is capable to record the temporary recording approximately 3 minutes.
- *3 Exclusion use with digital pad.
- *4 USB Audio is required the using vender driver and switched vender mode.
No upgrades available
Really nice upgrade from the TD25 , very realistic sounding kits with a lot more room for manipulating, love the Bluetooth connection makes playing along to my own music much easier